gaming issues due to ICS under xp

Status
Not open for further replies.
G'day all, i have a problem, my desktop is connected to a LAN. My desktop has 2 NICs in it, one connected to a LAN and the other connected to my laptop. I have ICS set up on the desktop and i can connect the laptop to my lan and the net. The problem is that i wish to play network games on my laptop on the LAN my desktop is connected to. I have checked out some articles on this and i think its to do with the ports ics opens??? I have looked at the ports that directx and other games use for multiplayer and there are way to many to enter in the ICS setting. Anyone know if there is a better or easy way to achieve this goal.

Also when i have ICS enabled on the desktop some games will not connect to LAN games, and i have to disable it to play LAN games on the desktop.

It is one of the "features" of Windows firewall/ICS to let you forward only single ports. Also, many games do not use static ports to do their stuff.

You either need some better ICS software (Linux :p) (a hardware router would be an overkill) or just connect the laptop directly to the LAN.

Load ZoneAlarm there is a free one ,turn off ICS and put ZA in learning mode once you approve the proper software requests it should work .For sure it will work better than ICS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back