gaming mobo combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugeoo543

Hello,

I recently returned my iPod because I realized that I have been the target of some hobo marketeer for a ****ty product. I now have $425 to spend. I have an extremley bad mobo/ram/processor, and I would like to upgrade them. Currently I am thinking of purchasing a ASUS P5GDC Deluxe Socket mobo, an Intel Pentium 4 3.0E Prescott 800MHz FSB Socket 47 processor, and CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SD ram.

If anyone has any suggestions please reply, because I am going to purchase those 3 pieces of hardware in about 12 days.

Thanks,
JS

ps. I want the mobo, ram, processor to be ideal for gaming :grinthumb

Also, I love the idea of dual graphics cards, but all the boards with SLI <-- (I think thats what it is) are amd only, and I'm amd stupid :knock:

:wave: Hello & Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

If you really want SLI, but don't want to have anything todo with AMD, just wait a month or two, and you should be able to get a mobo with SLI support for intel...

By then hopefully both ATI and nvidia will have shipped their solutions...

I'm fine with AMD, I just dont know whitch ones are better than a 3 ghz Intel Pentium Processor that are under $180. Also I here AMD are ideal for gaming but all the ones that i have seen are like 300-400 and there only like 2-2.5 ghz. If somewon could post the ideal gaming processor that would be awsome. :)

Ah, you've run into the Gigaherz trap...

These days, you can no longer equate power simply to amount of Ghz... AMD created a rating system to help show the difference, but alas they aren't as accurate as we could whish... (Somehow they tilt the favour in their own favour, go figure ;))
But they aren't too far off...

So you have to look a bit behind the Ghz and FSB numbers and read a few reviews about the different platforms to understand which is the most powerful for what applications...

I'm sure a lot of us can come up with different suggestions for a rig, but we'll need to know your budget... If you're ready to spend a lot (as the mention of SLI hints towards), you might want to wait until the dual-core Athlon64 hit the market sometime during this/next month... They won't add too much for current games, but you should see the use of it in future games....

Well iv got bout $420 to spend. MrGaribaldi, iv been sidetracked by an add on the top of the screen :bounce: and theres a deal in whitch if you get a pentium d you can get a free mobo/graphics card/memory. Is it a good deal? I guess if i just got a rilly good mobo/ procesor id be good. But then id be memoryles.. :dead: god, plz help

For a grad present i got a radeon 9800 pro 256 mb, so i guess i can hold off on the g-card till i can get an oc geforce from bfg :)

It does belong in a different part of the forum yes, but instead of creating another thread, ask a moderator to move this thread...

I don't see that ad you're refering to, so if you post a link (pref copy the one from the ad, so TechSpot get a little credit) to the deal, i'll have a look..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back