gaming mobo combo

By hugeoo543
Jun 4, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello,

I recently returned my iPod because I realized that I have been the target of some hobo marketeer for a ****ty product. I now have $425 to spend. I have an extremley bad mobo/ram/processor, and I would like to upgrade them. Currently I am thinking of purchasing a ASUS P5GDC Deluxe Socket mobo, an Intel Pentium 4 3.0E Prescott 800MHz FSB Socket 47 processor, and CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SD ram.

If anyone has any suggestions please reply, because I am going to purchase those 3 pieces of hardware in about 12 days.

Thanks,
    JS

ps. I want the mobo, ram, processor to be ideal for gaming :grinthumb
  2. hugeoo543

hugeoo543 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Also, I love the idea of dual graphics cards, but all the boards with SLI <-- (I think thats what it is) are amd only, and I'm amd stupid :knock:
  3. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,802

:wave: Hello & Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

If you really want SLI, but don't want to have anything todo with AMD, just wait a month or two, and you should be able to get a mobo with SLI support for intel...

By then hopefully both ATI and nvidia will have shipped their solutions...
  4. hugeoo543

I'm fine with AMD, I just dont know whitch ones are better than a 3 ghz Intel Pentium Processor that are under $180. Also I here AMD are ideal for gaming but all the ones that i have seen are like 300-400 and there only like 2-2.5 ghz. If somewon could post the ideal gaming processor that would be awsome. :)
  5. MrGaribaldi

Ah, you've run into the Gigaherz trap...

These days, you can no longer equate power simply to amount of Ghz... AMD created a rating system to help show the difference, but alas they aren't as accurate as we could whish... (Somehow they tilt the favour in their own favour, go figure ;))
    But they aren't too far off...

So you have to look a bit behind the Ghz and FSB numbers and read a few reviews about the different platforms to understand which is the most powerful for what applications...

I'm sure a lot of us can come up with different suggestions for a rig, but we'll need to know your budget... If you're ready to spend a lot (as the mention of SLI hints towards), you might want to wait until the dual-core Athlon64 hit the market sometime during this/next month... They won't add too much for current games, but you should see the use of it in future games....
  6. hugeoo543

Well iv got bout $420 to spend. MrGaribaldi, iv been sidetracked by an add on the top of the screen :bounce: and theres a deal in whitch if you get a pentium d you can get a free mobo/graphics card/memory. Is it a good deal? I guess if i just got a rilly good mobo/ procesor id be good. But then id be memoryles.. :dead: god, plz help

For a grad present i got a radeon 9800 pro 256 mb, so i guess i can hold off on the g-card till i can get an oc geforce from bfg :)
  7. hugeoo543

Should i be posting this in a diferent area in the forums?
  8. MrGaribaldi

It does belong in a different part of the forum yes, but instead of creating another thread, ask a moderator to move this thread...

I don't see that ad you're refering to, so if you post a link (pref copy the one from the ad, so TechSpot get a little credit) to the deal, i'll have a look..
  9. hugeoo543

God damit.... Its gone
    :hotbounce
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.