TechSpot

Gaming monitor

By skurken
Oct 6, 2007
  1. Hi

I was just wondering if this Acer monitor(P193W) is good enough for gaming todays games for example Half-Life2 or something similar. I just don't want to throw away 200 bucks on something thats going to be out-of-date quite soon.

Thanks in advance

Skurken

Link: http://global.acer.com/products/monitor/P_series.htm#

2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

most monitors will handle just about anything.... I really wouldn't worry about it. I would read some reviews if you're concerned enough.

3. skurken

skurken TS Rookie Topic Starter

okay, thanks

4. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,286   +24

Just keep in mind that to avoid ghosting while playing fast-paced games like FEAR etc. you'd need a response time of at least 5ms.

5. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX TS Rookie Posts: 2,438

I agree, my monitor is probably the fastest response time I ever seen of 2ms :D

It has a 3000:1 color ratio, 2ms Response, 24" LCD widescreen and a shiney black finish so it's all good :)

It's a Samsung monitor, here's link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001096

Mine cost $210 because I bought on eBay

6. Coth

Coth TS Rookie Posts: 59

Samsung, Acer are both good companies. Echoing Rage_3K_Moiz 5ms or lower is good. I play on a 20 wide Acer with a 5ms response and it's just fine. I've owned the Acer 20W for 5 months or so and I like it, no trouble....

7. skurken

skurken TS Rookie Topic Starter

So this monitor with 5 ms and 2000:1 isn't maybe the best but it will be able to handle most of the challenges you give it ?

8. Coth

Coth TS Rookie Posts: 59

I play mainly FPS and RTS games. No trouble with it at all. :)

I believe the contrast ratio is 800:1

9. Darth Viscek

Darth Viscek TS Rookie

I have a 21 inch Viewsonic, myself, no complaints here. Generally you get what you pay for with lcd monitors, as most things...I have found.

10. sghiznaneck

sghiznaneck TS Maniac Posts: 544

One key issue that seems to be missed here is the max resolution that the monitor is capable of being set at. Some monitors will only allow max res of 1280X1024, some widescreens run in 1440x900. For higher resolutions, you'll need a high def monitor, but the costs are still up there.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.