Gaming Nostalgia: UT's Facing Worlds is still the best multiplayer map

Julio Franco

Staff member

Above us, the moon. Beneath us, the Earth. In front of us, a massive, three-story tower. Overlapping bleeps and bloops accentuate the eerie calm. We’re blasting off into orbit, and you might know where we’re headed. Never before, nor since, has Capture the Flag been so much fun.

For the uninitiated, here’s a little bit of context: Unreal Tournament drew first blood on the PC in 1999, with a fanciful, science fiction tone and particularly gory splatters. The game focused its efforts on online multiplayer—there was a single player campaign, but beyond using it to learn the controls, few players paid attention to it.

Read the complete article.

Such a great article to see here. This brings back so many amazing memories about my UT days and it's so good to see others still haven't forgotten them days! I only played CTF Instagib and played along side all of the top players under the name Transparent (TraNs). (I signed up just to make this comment, felt like I needed to say thanks). Still to this day I don't feel any online game has a better match making than UT.. the way it listed the servers and gave you all the info you need was fantastic, way ahead of its time and still stands up so well today. I haven't played this for a long time but still get the urge to install every now and then. so many amazing memories!

They've remade this map in the latest Unreal Tournament which is currently in open Pre-Alpha.
Still a great map today!

I still vote for Unreal Tournament 2004 though, Still my favorite. I sunk a good chunk of my childhood into that game...

Edit: What Facing World looks like now.
Face-bg01T-1600x900-9296181661.png

They've remade this map in the latest Unreal Tournament which is currently in open Pre-Alpha.
Still a great map today!

I still vote for Unreal Tournament 2004 though, Still my favorite. I sunk a good chunk of my childhood into that game...

Edit: What Facing World looks like now.

Didn't realise they are doing a new/remake... very cool, cheers!

Didn't realise they are doing a new/remake... very cool, cheers!
It's well worth a play to be honest, the team behind it are hardcore UT fans and they've captured the feel of the original very well in my opinion. It's shaping up to be something special, I hope they can get that polish on it and make it something truly great again after the pretty poor UT3.

One of my favorite maps other than the Deck Maps. In my top 5 favorites of all time and still plays great today. One of the reasons I got into building PC's and upgrading video cards.

Oh the flashbacks! Thanks for this article and the trip down memory lane. This was my favorite UT map across all versions, and probably most other online fps. I hope the new UT will be as addictive as the past versions.

Good times.. so much time (and players) was murdered on this map... that picture with the sniper on top of the tower was me to a tee!

Except the only players I'd be fighting 70% of the time up there were other snipers... good old memory lane. Killer game to this day.

I have about 5 million hours logged playing Unreal Tournament.
I will be checking out the remake.

This is timely. I played and loved this game when it was first released, and just last week I installed it on my sons weak little notebook. Had to tweak some files to get it to run on win 10 and widescreen, but I found it runs very good actually , and surprise of all surprises, people are still actively playing this game online! Have a look. It's like it's still 99', only my computer and net speed are far more powerful than they were in 99. to bad my aim hasn't improved!

I need to go install this game again tonight. I don't even do multiplayer, but this was always my favorite map playing against bots.

Slow news day, eh..?

I loved this map.. One of the all-time classic CTF's, after 2fort and warpath of course. Though, for UT, I much preferred that super-massive one with the mountain in the middle with 4 different paths on each side leading into it.. Add in the Strangelove mod, nothing beat riding around the redeemer from base to base. xD

I started playing Unreal Tournament Gold. Afterwards I found Unreal Tournament and I was addicted to this game. So much that lots of my co workers tried to get me to stop playing this game and play World Of War Craft instead. I stuck with Unreal Tournament and I eventually moved on to City Of Heroes which was a great MMO. I still have my Unreal Tournament CD's and Unreal Tournament 2003 and 2004. But I prefer the original Unreal Tournament. I also loved that the Sega Dreamcast also offered a diluted version of Unreal Tournament. These Youtube clippings brought me back to when I was younger with not many worries at all in life. I just worked and went to school. 5 years later I got married and I had a daughter and my gaming days were over. After my divorce 9 years later, I started playing video games again. UT was one of my games I returned too, The Saw gun was my favorite weapon, the rocket launcher was my second favorite. But took too long to kill because many could dodge the blast! This game ran perfectly smooth on a AMD Dual core I think I had a AMD 5600+ CPU. and a Nvidia 7600. 2 years ago I upgraded my rig with a GTX 970. This year I plan on buying a GTX 1080! I hope I can still run my old Unreal Tournament using Win7.

Loved UT and loved the ngworld stats ranking system it came with. Getting up into the top few hundred in the world and getting 'Godlikes' on the tiny and frantic fractal map with the subtle, slow firing and tricksy shock rifle. Happy days!

I remember playing a CTF map almost identical to this one in the original Red Faction game. Oh the hours my friends and I spent yelling back and forth over speakerphone instructions on what we were doing. I so loved that map as well.

Back