Gaming on a 50" Plasma TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmdl51

Hello! I'm wondering. is it true that the bigger the display is the bigger the memory required for gaming? I ask this because someone told me if I'm gaming with a 22" ws monitor I should consider a video card with higher memory, and right now I'm wondering why I can't run games on my 50" Plasma TV, every game I load up takes me back to the desktop and with my 22" monitor that doesn't happen, I have a 7800GS with 256MB. so, is it true? or memory has nothing to do with that issue?

Video RAM helps at high resolutions. A 50 inch plasma is probably a 1080 screen which is 1920x1080 resolution, with modern games that is going to be pretty tough on that card. I was reading some benchies earlier about the 8800 cards and the performance of the low end 320 meg card was up there with the better ones up until about 1600x1200, then it dropped off compared to the 640 and 720 meg versions. So whoever told you that is at least on the right track.

I don't expect the 'failure' mode of running at a large resolution would be dropping you back to the desktop, but maybe it is. Or maybe the game doesn't support 1920x1080 and drops you out to the desktop. Or maybe you just need a driver update.

Stick with 1024x768 @ 32-bit but get more RAM 128 is okay but if you want more realistic detail better than most game systems you should get a card for that purpose. The extra RAM 256 gives you better PQ for games. Remember maxing out the Video Card can cause problems, but whatever the HDTV can handle for your PC you should try to stick with that size for now. Just becareful okay...

Thanks for the input to both of you, I heard the same stuff about the 8800 series with 320MB, so for my future build I will consider a 640 or 768MB.

tipstir, I think you get me wrong, I don't have 128 of System RAM, I have 256MB DDR3 video RAM on a 7800 GS, The problem now is that I'm stuck with my old ASUS P4P800E-Dx and it's old AGP 8X. I can only play fifa07, AOE 3, but games like BF2142, Oblivion and NFS Carbon bump me back to desktop, I guess it's because those are more graphic demanding games, even though my TV is 1366x768 and the PC set it up correctly those kind of games are not running.
I guess is time to start building another PC , but I'll wait 'til the prices of the Core2Duo drop a little bit more and so the DX10 cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back