Gaming PC build

Hey everyone, I need some help with my newest build.
  • What are you going to use the PC for? Gaming, video editing.
  • How much is your budget? about $3000
  • Are you going to buy online or from a retail store? newegg.com
  • Are you going to re-use anything from your current rig?No.
  • Do you need peripherals like a monitor, keyboard and mouse, amongst others?No.
  • Have you already bought any components?Nope. All new parts.
  • Do you already have an Operating System (OS) or will you be buying one? I've got Windows 7.
  • Will you need any aftermarket cooling, such as a CPU\GPU cooler or a watercooling setup? If you think I need more cooling or recommend water cooling, I would like to know.
Part list so far-

If I should replace/add/remove something from this, please let me know.

Thanks.

- You need 4770K CPU, so it's unlocked and overclock-able later on.
- Don't need CPU cooler right now, but it may be a good idea to buy something nice..
- Where's your SSD? 120GB+ SSD is pretty much essential with such a build.
- Need more hard drives. Buy at least one more 1TB platter, to use for scratch drive etc.

You have a fairly large budget, so you can do a lot.
1) Like Stick said, get the K version of the 4770. Get a 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD. The HDD you chose will be for storage and the SSD above will be for the OS and files. Use the HDD for your video editing files.
2) Cut the RAM down to 16GB.
3) I think 2xGTX 770s are a better option vs the 780. It will bring you 2x the performance for only $150 more. It is your choice in the end.
4) I would either go with the Gigabyte Z87X-OC or the ASUS Sabertooth Z87
5) I would recommend the H100i CPU Cooler.

Before we jump to decisions, what resolution will you be gaming at? How many monitors will you use?

All good suggestions above, but with such a massive budget you need to consider what monitor(s) you have. No point getting 2x GTX 770's for a 1080p screen.

Also the 800D is more of a water cooling case, you'll probably be a bit disappointed with the temps if you're running air cooling. Corsair's 500R/C70 are probably better solutions.

If you're doing a lot of video editing I'd wait a month for the 4930K which will be a proper $3k build ;)

Yeah, I was gonna recommend the 4930K, but I have to see benchmarks before I can fully recommend it.

Yeah, I was gonna recommend the 4930K, but I have to see benchmarks before I can fully recommend it.
We pretty much know how it's going to perform: about 5-10% quicker than the 3930K and should OC just as well since it's also using fluxless solder.

Ok, I'm going to have 3 screens, that's why I was going with the 780, I don't know much about sli GPUs, or how that would work. Should I wait for the 4930k or just get the 4770k? How much more would it be to go full water cooled? I'm going with the Gigabyte Z87X-OC but would 2400mhz ram be compatible or would I have to go with 1600?
The SSD-SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD500KW 2.5" 500GB (Maybe, if not the 256gb)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178393 - 4tb HDD
So, 2 770's instead of a 780? I think water cooling would be cool, but I don't know how much that would cost.

For 3 screens a single 780 isn't going to be enough. SLI/Crossfire is just 2 GPUs linked together, you just have to enable it in the Nvidia control panel/CCC.

If you're thinking of running more than 2 770's and need lots of RAM I think you should wait for the 4930K + X79 motherboard. You'll have more PCI-E lanes for the GPUs (that Z87X-OC uses a PLX chip for the extra PCI-E lanes which is not native to Haswell) and quad channel RAM.

You'll want the Samsung 840 Pro SSD, similar name but very different internals.

Here's a watercooling guide to get you started, just be aware that it takes a lot of time and effort as well as cash to choose and set up. A CPU + 2 GPU loop will cost a lot.

Wow, that water cooling guide is insane. I'm planning on a Samsung 840 pro 500gb SSD and the 2 770's but I may not water cool the system for now. Someone said it will be about a month until the 4930k comes out? I can wait for that. and 32gb RAM should be good right? I will most likely just get 32gb of corsair vengeance-1600mhz.

There's a difference between having 3 screens and using them all for gaming. Which is it going to be? Makes huge difference to your required GPU's.

I won't be using them all for gaming, except maybe one time just for fun, but normally I would just have 1 screen gaming and the other 2 to multitask

Back