Gaming PC Input

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hypnosan

I'm looking to put together a new PC with gaming as it's main focus. I'd like to put together a system that with the current state (or near future) of technology will be the "big kid on the block". I don't really plan to use the system for any serious degree of image/video editing or any other specific tasks that come to mind. I've been out of the loop for a bit so I'd really like to get some input from anybody willing. So with all of that in mind I'd really appreciate it if you guys could throw some ideas at me as to what you think the ideal system make up might be. To keep it all uniformed I'd appreciate it if you could keep it in the following format please:

• Processor:
  • Cooling:
  • Motherboard:
  • Memory:
  • Videocard:
  • Soundcard:
  • Hard Disks:
  • Other Drives:
  • Case:
  • Any Additional Comments

Let me thank you all in advance for any input you guys can give me.

Sorry should have been a more specific. As far as operating systems are concerned I honestly don't care, whatever would perform the best yet still offer the most compatibility. As far as budget price isn't much of a concern so long as it's within reason, I'd like to stay under $4000 if possible.

EDIT: Also wanted to add that I am competent with the actual construction, this will be the fourth system I've put together for personal use, I'm just a bit out of the loop.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/cfgc2d.asp?v=d

This site you can build your own. I can't advise about all components but this is what I would build.
processor: Intel Core2Duo (my pick 6600)
memory: 2GB (at least 667 or 800mhz)
video card: 8800 series
other components: use site as a guide to what's compatable
operating system: gaming XP
Vista is just out, so it's your choice. I use Vista myself.

Here's what I've been tossing around so far.

Processor:
Cooling: Swiftech H20-220
Motherboard:
Memory:
Videocard:
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty
Hard Disks:2 WD Raptor X 150GB 1 Seagate Barracuda 250GB
Other Drives:
Case: Thermaltake Armor
Power Supply: OCZ GameXStream 700W

The processor, motherboard, and video card I'm still kind of scratching my head on. I'll probably end up going with an 8800 for the video but I was curious if anybody knew of any reason to hold off. I'm looking to put this system together within about 3-4 months or so, so if anybody knows of any new tech releases coming up that would make me wait I'd love to hear about them.

As far as the water cooling this will be my first system to utilize this, I've read several review and such and the Swiftech H20-220 seems to be a very popular and highly regarded kit. Because of my lack of experience with such systems if anybody has any advice otherwise as always I'd love the input.

EDIT: I have been looking at this videocard pretty closely, anybody have an opinion of it?

If your budget is 4k you can get to g80's and a e6700 and still have 2300 left for mobo, hard drives and w/e else you need.

I've heard the quad cores will be dropping in price around late July, so I'll probably wait to make any final decisions on a processor/motherboard until then, I'm really leaning towards the 6700's though.

I've been looking at the Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6800 or QX6850, would these perform well on an nVidia 680i board or would it be better to wait on one with an x38 board? On that not also what would you guys recommend as the best 680i board to go along with those processors? I've been looking at one of the Asus Strikers, they seem to be pretty highly rated, if not a little overpriced.

EDIT: On a side note which processor between the QX6800 and QX6850 would be better for gaming? From what I've been reading it seems likes the QX6800 would be better but it looks like a close tie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back