TechSpot

Gaming Problem/Computer Freezes

By knoxmickey
Jul 21, 2005
  1. I have been working on this problem for almost 2 months, and no one will help me. I was hoping I could find some friendly faces here.

Whenever I play any game that uses 3d acceleration, the game crashes within a few minutes. My computer will either freeze, reboot or blue screen. It started for seemingly no reason after using the same graphics card for almost 6 months. System:
    800 mhz P3 (dont laugh)
    384 MB RAM
    WinXP
    Radeon 9200se

I must have tried 50 things twice to try and fix it, by process of elimination I'm completly stumped. I have formatted my hard drive. I'm not over-heating or over-clocking. Tried several ATI catalyst video drivers. All of these things plus multiple settings changes that I won't bother trying to list them all here.

Someone please help!

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

What psu do you have?

Have you tested you ram for errors?

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

3. knoxmickey

knoxmickey TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have switched out my ram sticks and tried running less RAM, no help.
    I don't know what my PSU is, how do i find out?

4. howard_hopkinso

The wattage of your psu should be written on a label on the psu itself.

In order to test your ram. download and run the Memtest86+ programme from www.memtest.org.

Let it run for at least seven passes. If you don`t have a floppy drive, there is an iso version that you can burn to cd, and then boot from that.

Regards Howard :)

5. knoxmickey

300W power supply
    both my floppy drive and cd burner don't work. I'll work on them to see if i can get one of them working.

6. knoxmickey

Ran the memtest and had no errors.

7. howard_hopkinso

It could be that it`s your video card`s ram that is going bad. Can you try your card in another system? Maybe try a different psu.

Regards Howard :cool:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.