TechSpot

gaming troubles

By herr
Jul 30, 2006
  1. Hello all

First off I was looking on the net for answers and found this forum by accident which hopefully will help me solve my problem.

Ok here we go

I used to be able to play games like Hearts of Iron without any troubles until I took my computer in for a service.
    Now that I want to play port royale or hearts of iron the screen is distorted and flickers.

I have windows XP AMD Athlon processor and normal plug and play monitor.

What could have caused this problem and furthermore how can I solve this ?

I hope you guys can help me out !

Thanks in advance of a frustrated gamer

Herr

2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,506   +238

It might help to know what service was performed and what was wrong that you had to take it for service in the first place. Also, it would help to know the rest of your system specifications and try not to be too generic with the descriptions. Otherwise, have you tried to reinstall or update your graphics driver?

3. herr

herr TS Rookie Topic Starter

hi

turns out i had quite a bit of viruses on my pc when i took it in.
    i dont even know what my graphics driver is.
    :(

Herr

4. herr

herr TS Rookie Topic Starter

ok I found out what my driver is :

VIA/3SG Unichrome 3GP.
    Found a updated driver for it, but as soon as we go into setup it comes up it was unsuccesfull to install.
    Got the error log for it but makes no sense.
    So stuck there now.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance

Herr

5. justinone

justinone TS Enthusiast Posts: 210

take the god damn PC back to where you got it patched and ask them what they did.

6. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,506   +238

Before installing a new graphics driver be sure to uninstall the old one first.

7. rmdl51

rmdl51 TS Maniac Posts: 368

Hi! it's important to know what they did to your computer, if they reformatted your hard drive maybe you lost your stable graphic driver, it sound to me like a onboard graphics if that's the case, first like mailpup said uninstall everything related to the graphic card first, then if you have your MOBO drivers cd, you might wanna try that one first, if the problem is not fixed you may wanna look for an update over the internet. good luck!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.