Garbled Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
My monitor all of sudden shows coloured lines and dots all over the place. I have tested the monitor with another computer and I know it is fine. I have a Radeon 9800 video card which I have tried to update, but this has not worked. Would really appreciate some advice about how to sort this out.
Thanks
:monkey:

Check the pins in the monitor plug to see if any are bent, if any are then very carefully straighten them out. Be very careful as they can break.

Try a lower screen resolution, some monitors cant handle some higher resolutions.

Let me know if this doesn't help as there are a few more things to check.

Hi, I tried the lower resolution and the pins are fine. I rebooted the computer and the screen was fine, until I logged onto the internet and then I got all these coloured horizontal lines up the screen. Any other suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

There are many other things to try, but we need more info.

What hardware and software are you using?

Any recent upgrades?

Has it worked fine in the past? Has anything changed since?

What driver/ version number are you using for your graphics card?

We can only work with the information you give us.

OK. I'm running Windows XP and I have had this PC for 3 years and the monitor for 2 years.
The mouse pointer has been a bit sluggish for the past few months, but this business with the lines on the monitor happenend overnight. No new software has been added.
I have a Radeon 9800 XL video card with 128 MB. Version 6.14.10.6378 which I think is the latest version.
My memory is down to 20%, I don't know if this would affect it.
I hope this is enough info.
Thanks

Have you tried running scandisk and disk defrag recently?
If not, run them both.

Do you have antispy and antivirus software?
Have you ran them recently.

More info would still be useful, like motherboard make and model if you know it. Ammount of ram also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back