TechSpot

Gas leak at Intel manufacturing plant sends a dozen to the hospital

By Shawn Knight
Jul 1, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A gas leak at Intel’s Chandler, Arizona, manufacturing plant sent a dozen people to the hospital over the weekend. At least 43 people became ill when a gas identified as nitrogen triflouride leaked from a single manufacturing tool in the...

Read more
  2. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,256   +147

I googled it and posted it just in case anyone was as intrested as me.

Nitrogen trifluoride is the inorganic compound with the formula NF3. This nitrogen-fluorine compound is a colorless, toxic, odourless, nonflammable gas. It finds increasing use as an etchant in microelectronics.

Skin contact with NF3 is not hazardous, and it is a relatively minor irritant to mucous membranes and eyes. It is a pulmonary irritant with a toxicity comparable with nitrogen oxides, and overexposure via inhalation causes the conversion of hemoglobin in blood to methemoglobin, which can lead to the condition methemoglobinemia
    gamoniac likes this.
  3. fimbles

Best wishes to the victims, familys and fire crew.
  4. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,065   +704

thanks for the info. I looked up methemoglobinemia, and it's a type of hemoglobin that doesn't release oxygen. The most obvious effect from my quick research is that it makes you turn blue.
    fimbles likes this.
  5. fimbles

A strange symptom indeed!

coolazeem likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.