TechSpot

Gateway 600 needs some repairs

By Denman007
Mar 5, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The biggest problem is that my power port pin is busted and I can't power it up rendering it useless.

Is it just a matter of buying one of these and finding someone to install it for me...http://www.laptoprepairco.com/searchbrand/searchbrand.asp?submitted=6#dcjack

Anyone know which DC Power jack I need for my 600x? I'd be happy to do a $100 repair instead of buying a new laptop.

Thanks.

EDIT: I think I found some on ebay for $9, but they must be soldered onto the motherboard.
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

All of them have to be soldered - no tape+knife ugliness here. The soldering job is easy - ripping the lappy apart will be the biggest challenge.

You should try to get a new port that is exactly like your old one. The pin placement and the port height are the most important - you do want the thing to fit :p The hole/pin size is not that critical, since you can always replace the plug coming from your AC adapter.
  3. Denman007

Denman007 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 67

I found a company on ebay that will do it for me. Only $120 total including shipping. This will be sweet if it works. I almost bought a new Dell last night - glad I didn't.
  4. Denman007

Denman007 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 67

Just to give an update, I got my laptop back last night and all is well. That was a pretty good bargin for repairing the power jack.

On top of that, I found out that my usb ports are not fried - it was my mouse that was causing the problem. It feels like I have a brand new laptop. Lets hope it lasts!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.