Gateway new high-end PCs have advanced features like overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Turbo-charged with factory-warrantied(5) overclocking capabilities, the

FX530 Series delivers cutting-edge processing, graphics and storage capabilities

IRVINE, Calif., Oct. 30, 2006 – Sure to top many holiday wish lists, Gateway today introduced the PC enthusiast’s dream machine, the Gateway® FX530 Series Desktop PC. The FX530 comes with a wide array of high-end options that allow the PC to be customized for advanced applications such as digital content creation and serious PC gaming.

The Gateway FX530 desktop PC delivers a true breakthrough in computing by including cutting-edge technology such as powerful processing and graphics capabilities as well as advanced storage options that all contribute to the system’s unsurpassed performance and reliability. Tech-savvy PC users will be enthralled with the PC’s powerful combination of an Intel® Core® 2 Duo or Intel® Core® 2 Extreme processor with ATI RADEON Dual Card x1950 and x1900 CrossFire Edition Graphics. In addition, the FX530 was designed to support Intel’s next-generation Quad-Core processing technology when available.

Gamers will especially appreciate the fact that the Gateway FX530 can be purchased direct from Gateway with over-clocking capabilities. Fully tested and backed by a Gateway limited warranty(5), the Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 dual-core processor can be ordered over-clocked for maximum performance. Unlike most other major PC OEMs, Gateway will warranty the system, providing a previously unavailable level of reliability and support while delivering new performance heights.

The Gateway FX530 Series offers a wide range of customizable cutting-edge technology to deliver revolutionary levels of performance, powering vivid high-definition graphics and multi-tasking responsiveness. The FX530 Series can be ordered now through Gateway’s Direct channels (www.gateway.com or 1-800-GATEWAY). It will begin shipping Nov. 2.

First-rate Features for Top-Notch Multimedia, Gaming

The FX Series features support for a range of PCI Express graphics cards from NVIDIA and ATI, including the leading-edge ATI RADEON x1950 and x1900 CrossFire Edition Dual Graphics Cards for unparalleled video, graphics and gaming performance. Of course, no system of this caliber would be complete without stellar audio. Customers have the option of adding Audigy 4 and Sound Blaster X-Fi sound cards as well as award-winning Logitech Surround Sound Speakers, making their video, games and music more enjoyable and realistic.

The new FX530 desktops include Intel® Viiv™ technology and Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005, making it easy to view photos, video, listen to music or watch DVDs. All models support an optional integrated TV tuner and remote control for TV viewing from the comfort of the couch. The desktop PCs feature Gigabit (10/100/1000) Ethernet for a fast network connection, critical for online gaming as well as for sending and receiving large data files, such as photos and video.

High-capacity, High-performance Storage

The Gateway FX530 Series features some of the most advanced storage technologies available in a PC today. The PC can be purchased with 750GB perpendicular drives for leading-edge system performance as well as a massive capacity of up to 2.25TB(1). The additional drive bay allows users to expand storage capacity to 3TBs(1). In addition, several models come standard with two Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10,000 RPM drives striped for maximum performance. Featuring three configured hard drives, customers have the option of configuring their FX530 with RAID 0, 1 and 5, providing performance and redundancy benefits.

New Chassis Design

The FX Series’ vast technology and features are matched by its new chassis design that brings a distinctly cutting-edge look and feel to the FX series. The chassis is emblazoned with “FX” on the side panels in a choice of four vibrant metallic colors, including redline, copper core, black steel and blue carbon. The air intake vent on the front of the system complements the FX effects for enhanced visual appeal. In addition, the new chassis utilizes a BTX design that delivers cool and quiet operation, while its tool-free chassis allows for easy upgrading and access to internal components.

Security Features

The FX530 Series is offered with advanced security options to protect the customer's data and investment. All models come with a 90-day trial of McAfee Internet Security Suite™ (Anti-Virus, Anti-Spam, Anti-Spyware, Firewall and Parental Control)(2). A proactive service tool called BigFix® is included at no charge on all Gateway systems(3). With the customer's permission, BigFix identifies and sends messages offering updates to enhance the performance or capabilities of the PC.

Configurations, Pricing and Availability

Available to order now direct from Gateway, the new FX530 Series desktop PCs can be configured with popular features and technology. The FX530 models are Microsoft Vista Premium Ready(4) and are eligible for a for a free upgrade to Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium via the Microsoft Windows Vista Express Upgrade Program. For more information, go to: http://www.gateway.com/vista/express.

When I first saw the headline I had doubts that it was any good or that anyone would buy it. But after reading that it seems like a pretty good computer, the things I was looking for was upgradeability and hardware specs. Looks like you get good hardware out of the box that should be easy to replace. Also a 5 year warranty with overclocked components is unheard of, surely they don't warranty any overclocking you do.

I think they may have trouble getting buyers though. Gateway doesn't have a real stellar reputation among enthusiasts and enthusiasts that wouldn't build but still want a machine with those kind of specs would likely just buy an Alienware.

Good luck to them though. I think a lot of PC makers are missing out on this part of the market. If manufacturers would produce quality machines that are easy upgradeable and have quality components (especially PSU) I'd buy them.

Its good to see a manufacturer listening to people for a change!!!! They usually churn out generic junk that isn't much good at anything and is hideously expensive to upgrade!!! If these new Gateway pc's live up to the hype then with a bit of luck it will herald a turnabout in pc construction, but to be honest, i doubt it!!! What we need now it Tom's Hardware Guide to test them to destruction to see what the new machines are capable of!!!!

perhaps I read it wrong... but as I understand it you can only buy it "pre-overclocked" by Gateway. I didn't see anywhere that it has the ability to be overclocked by the end user. the "pre-overclocked" model (probably just a small amount like 5%-10%) would be warranted by gateway.

I would be very surprised if they would sell a PC with a full featured BIOS that allows full overclocking abilities. mainly because people would fry their CPUs and Gateway would have no way of proving it (unless the owner is foolish enough to tell them), so they would have to honor their warranty, resulting in many fried component replacements :rolleyes:

not much of an overclocker myself, but it could just be software overclock or within a certain range of things you can change probably in a DIY type of thing.. i'm thinking thats the only way they'd be able to market it with the warranty as such so its somewhat controlled..

KingCody said:
perhaps I read it wrong... but as I understand it you can only buy it "pre-overclocked" by Gateway. I didn't see anywhere that it has the ability to be overclocked by the end user. the "pre-overclocked" model (probably just a small amount like 5%-10%) would be warranted by gateway.

I would be very surprised if they would sell a PC with a full featured BIOS that allows full overclocking abilities. mainly because people would fry their CPUs and Gateway would have no way of proving it (unless the owner is foolish enough to tell them), so they would have to honor their warranty, resulting in many fried component replacements :rolleyes:

True, but most users would still like the idea that there would be an overclock by a brand name company. I, myself have never heard of such a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back