Gateway NV78 not starting properly

I'm trying to diagnose a problem for a friend. The computer, a Gateway NV78 laptop, is not starting up properly. When she tries to power it on, the HDD spins hard for a second or two as she says it normally does, then nothing happens. The power lights stay on, but the screen stays dark and the fans she normally hears do not power on.

She isn't tech savvy, but she's a smart person, so I walked her through re-seating the HDD and the memory, but we didn't get any change. Her husband was concerned that there was an error message on the screen we just couldn't see because it wasn't turning on, so I had her attach another monitor and try booting again, but still no change. She also says there are no flashing LEDs or POST beeps or anything to provide any sort of self-diagnosis.

My next step is to visit her, and I plan on bringing compatible memory and a HDD to see if I get any change. I would very much appreciate any other advice, or even whether or not you think I'm on the right track. I took some CS classes in college, but this is very much a hobby for me, not a career, I won't be upset if you tell me I'm going about this all wrong. =)

Thanks,
Keith

"the HDD spins hard for a second"...
Could this actually be the CD/DVD drive you are hearing? Have her pull the battery and disconnect the AC adapter. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds and try booting the laptop once more using the AC adapter or internal battery

Back