TechSpot

G'day from Downunder

By bumblegrum
Sep 15, 2008
  1. G'day Guys,

I found this forum quite by accident while researching a problem I am encountering and am very impressed with the response so far.

By way of introduction, I am 62, retired, and living in Bundaberg on the central coast of Queensland, Australia about 300 or so kilometers north of Brisbane and at the start of the Great Barrier Reef. The weather here is beautiful one day and perfect the next.

I have had a computer since the days of the Sinclair ZX80 (does anyone remember that one?) and was a "computer guru" up until the time that Windows 3.0 was released at which time I started to get left behind in the technology stakes to the extent that today, I must totally rely on those who understand it all to help me with problems.

For the uninitiated, the ZX80 had a massive 2k RAM, the hard drive was any tape recorder you could get your hands on, the TV was your monitor but you had to use a "black box" to convert the data for display and there was no such thing as a printer. All programs had to be written by yourself in binary code (there were no such things as pre-programmed games or anything else for that matter) and if it didn't work then it was your fault entirely.

It was not unusual to spend an entire day coding a binary file that ended up showing a stick man walking across the screen.

I am impressed by the level of knowledge available from the members who participate in this forum and I look forward to many years of participation.

Bring back DOS!!

Cheers
    Brian

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Actually DOS is still about

When you type the old VER on the command line, that's your DOS revision
    ie we can still DIR /w our folders to view them.

I still have Win 311 too How about that! But I'm presently not using it (just in case!)

Anyway welcome aboard :wave: and enjoy your stay :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.