Gears of War: Ultimate Edition includes DirectX 12, 4K graphics on PC

Scorpus

Staff member

Gears of War: Ultimate Edition has already been released on Xbox One, but when the remastered version of the original Gears of War game hits PC in the near future, it will bring even better graphics and a whole collection of new features.

For starters, Ultimate Edition on PC will include a number of DirectX 12 features to help improve performance and visual fidelity. The Coalition, developers of the title, are still using Unreal Engine 3 for the game, but they have integrated a DirectX 12 renderer with improved parallelization to make the most out of today's multi-core CPUs.

The game also harnesses some Unreal Engine 4 features, including physically-based rendering for more realistic shading, and HDR lighting through Lightmass. On top of that, the team has improved the game's models across the board, and have re-authored every texture to make the game look great on 4K displays.

Gears of War: Ultimate Edition on PC won't be a straight port from Xbox One: the frame rate will be uncapped, and gamers will be able to tweak a wide variety of settings including anti-aliasing (MSAA and FXAA will be supported) and ambient occlusion. The title will also ship with a built-in benchmark, which should come in handy for real-world DirectX 12 performance testing.

The PC version of Gears of War: Ultimate Edition is expected to come out sometime in 2015, although no launch date has been specified.

Permalink to story.

These should be default options included in every port for PC. Really enjoyed the first GoW on PC.

Any word about will it be on "normal" stores or only in some microsoft store? When they end the gfwl2 as badly as the first one it wont work without mods and probably gets removed from store. If it gets on steam or gog will buy for full price.

Any word about will it be on "normal" stores or only in some microsoft store? When they end the gfwl2 as badly as the first one it wont work without mods and probably gets removed from store. If it gets on steam or gog will buy for full price.

I hope it'll be available through retail channels but I get the feeling this may be a digital download only (I hope I'm wrong).

Good to hear. Now my Titan X cards will have something to give them a workout.
I drooled at the titan x cards.

my gtx 960 will also have a workout program... hopefully by next week, my bulging muscles gtx 960 will magically transform into a titan. ;)

Although I wish I have the new Aorus X5 (not the BMWX5) I'll hope my Lenovo Y50-70 will do the work and will be a bigger difference from the actual Gears of War for PC (the original one)... though, the story will be the same, unfortunately :'(

Good to hear. Now my Titan X cards will have something to give them a workout.
Maybe in about 5 years Titan X cards will be a justifiable purchase, literally no benefit over a 900 series card. By the time they even have the ability to use half it's resources they'll cost a tenth of the the current price. Dumb people are overpowered, but hey at least you're funding the industry.

Maybe in about 5 years Titan X cards will be a justifiable purchase, literally no benefit over a 900 series card. By the time they even have the ability to use half it's resources they'll cost a tenth of the the current price. Dumb people are overpowered, but hey at least you're funding the industry.

A GTX 980 can play games at 2K comfortably but will stutter at 4K even with its 4GB frame buffer. The GTX 980Ti is a great card from what I've read but it still retails for $700 to $750 dollars.

The Titan X can play games well at 4K for single card and makes playing them at 1080p an absolute joy. Yes it's overpowered for a lot games but with Mass Effect Andromeda coming out at the end of next year, and most likely running on a tweaked out Frostbite 3 engine, that won't be the case (check out Dragon Age: Inquisition which also uses the same engine). Don't hate just because you don't have the card or don't see any value in buying one.

Last edited:

A GTX 980 can play games at 2K comfortably but will stutter at 4K even with its 4GB frame buffer. The GTX 980Ti is a great card from what I've read but it still retails for $700 to $750 dollars.

The Titan X can play games well at 4K for single card and makes playing them at 1080p an absolute joy. Yes it's overpowered for a lot games but with Mass Effect Andromeda coming out at the end of next year, and most likely running on a tweaked out Frostbite 3 engine, that won't be the case (check out Dragon Age: Inquisition which also uses the same engine). Don't hate just because you don't have the card or don't see any value in buying one.

My 980 ti MSI Lightning Cards blow the 2 Titan X's away and cost less than the Titan X. In my honest opinion, Titan X's are a total waste. I could have gotten them but absolutely hate the reference design.

My 980 ti MSI Lightning Cards blow the 2 Titan X's away and cost less than the Titan X. In my honest opinion, Titan X's are a total waste. I could have gotten them but absolutely hate the reference design.

The Titan X draws less power than two 980 Tis running in SLI; it also produces less heat. Far from being a waste it's made for gamers who want the best performance in a single graphics card without the hassle that SLI can cause.

Back