GeForce 2 MX400 overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

trans_am_89

I would just like to point out that the information on overclocking the GeForce 2 isn't accurate. I have a GeForce 2 MX400 w/64MB of video ram, and I am currently running my card with the memory overclocked to 350 MHz, and the processor at 250 Mhz without any visual impurities or instability problems.

Welcome to 3dspotlight forums....

It all depends on the exact brand of Geforce2MX, how good the cooling (heat sinks and fan if there is one) is, quality and speed of the memory used (usually dictated by Nvidia). What was the previous claim about overclocking Geforce2MX? That it can't be overclocked at all? :confused:
Also which games have you tested for problems? Both OpenGL and DirectX titles?

I will be interested to find out any results about it, because I am planning a major overclock of an old Generic GF2MX. I already have a big (Socket 7 style) Fan mounted on the chip, and am planning to add some big Ramsinks, when I get round to making some.

At the moment it scores around 2500 3dmarks, so I am trying to breach the 3k/4k barriers.

I also considered water cooling - but just to overclock a card that cost me a £10 - just didn't seem worth it.

my card has no cooling on the memory and has the "factory" heatsink/fan on the processor. I have tested this on dx and open gl games. the previous claim about overclocking is that when overclocked past 220 MHz the card froze and had visual impurities. I did experience impurities, but not until I cranked the ram up to 400 and the processor up to 300. That brand name of my card is an Eagle GeForce 2 MX400. It was quicker to overclock it with a program such as powerstrip, but that was causing problems with my internet so I took that off and used the overclocking Nvidia includes in the properties. I'm running xp and all I did was overclocked the ram, then logged off and back on. That way I would have addition room to overclock. I just repeated that until I got up to my desired speeds...let me know what you think

My goodness. Your OC is REALLY high. I've got an MSI GeForce2MX that came with just a heatsink and I managed to get the card to 180/180 and I stopped there. I'll try again later tonite and post the results here. I don't think it's possible to go from the stock 166/175 (?) to 300/400.

Originally posted by trans_am_89
go for it man :grinthumb, but I'm not responsible if you fry the card trying...:D

Thank you ;) Dont' worry though, I've tried oc-ing the vid card b4 ;)

Yeah GPU speed and Core Speed are the same thing. Anyone got any ideas what I can make some cool ramsinks out of? I thought about alloy checkerplate - but it is probably too heavy :-(

Failing that I might chop up some Slot 1 coolers, or some more socket 7 Heatsinks.

Good news...I've overclocked my card some more. I'm at 261/392. no impurities or stability problems yet, but I'll post it on here if I do run into trouble

Originally posted by trans_am_89
Good news...I've overclocked my card some more. I'm at 261/392. no impurities or stability problems yet, but I'll post it on here if I do run into trouble

Which games don't have impurities? Can you post which games/applications that you are using to verify that their are no problems...

There's an error in the reported speeds with the GF2MX400 cards. A friend of mine bought an Abit GF2MX400 & GTUTweak reports 200 for core & 365 for Memory. It's actually 365 / 2 = 183 MHZ. It tends to multiply by two maybe it's a bug brought on by DDR memory cards. If you run your memory at 400, it's really running at 200.

Originally posted by Didou
There's an error in the reported speeds with the GF2MX400 cards. A friend of mine bought an Abit GF2MX400 & GTUTweak reports 200 for core & 365 for Memory. It's actually 365 / 2 = 183 MHZ. It tends to multiply by two maybe it's a bug brought on by DDR memory cards. If you run your memory at 400, it's really running at 200.

That sounds more correct ;) Does that error apply to NVMax as well?

I've been playing Unreal Tournament, Nascar 2002, Unreal, Quake 3, Need for Speed 4: High Stakes, Hitman: Codename 47.....I think that's it more or less.....the program I'm using right now to overclock my card is the newest/final version of NvMax by the way.....

I think that error exists in NVMax. It might be a bug in the way the driver itself reports the Speed, because it exists in the OC Tab of nVIDIA driver settings ( CoolBits ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back