geforce 2 ti overclocking??

By eveneannenevs
Jun 27, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i need a little help. maybe some guidance. or maybe just a big mac with large fries. but here...

im running a chaintech geforce 2 ti 32 mb DDR.
    im using the original geforce overclock menu
    im using the geforce tweak utility from the guru3d site.
    -now... the cards stock settings are as follows
    core clock - 250
    memory clock - 333

ive used both to overclock this thing... and is it just me... or is this overclocked REALLY HIGH? right now its as follows
    core clock - 266
    memory clock - 366

ive been playing quake 3 for hours... and it seems to be working great. but im scared this things gonna catch on fire! can someone tell me if these settings are safe or if i should turn em down quick! thanks!!
  2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

Those are some really odd speeds. Here are the specs for GF2 cards ( Non MX ) :

GF2 GTS -> 200 / 333 ( 166 DDR )
    GF2 Pro -> 200 / 400
    GF2 Ti -> 250 / 400
    GF2 Ultra -> 250 / 460

When you finish playing a few hours, touch the card & the ram modules & see if there's a lot of heat generated. It's the best way to know if you're overstressing your Vid Card.
  3. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

My GF2 Ti is by default at 265/460 or something like that, I don't remember correctly. I managed to clock it to 295/511. So that 250/333 does sound weird, like it's not DDR memory?!
  4. JAV

JAV Newcomer, in training Posts: 264

My 'rule of thumb' (FWIW) for 'non-active cooled' (no fans just heatsinks) video cards is 5-8% on the core clock & 8-10% on the memory. A 250 core would be: 262.5-270 & 333 memory would be: ~360-366. :)

'Active cooled': 7-10% core (267.5-275) & 10-16% memory (366-~387).

These are not hard & fast rules! The better the cooling *usually* the better the results. There are variables: the ns (nano second) speed of the memory (lower is *usually* better), the brand of memory, the driver & the oc methods used.

I have achieved a 10% core increase & a 16% memory increase using Riva Tuner & the 28.32 Det driver on my VisionTek card w/6ns memory. I couldn't achieve those %ages w/GTU &/or any other driver & technically: that 6ns RAM shouldn't go that high. :grinthumb The fan I have blowing across the card, the Hi-cfm case exhaust fan, the 28.32 driver (say VERY stable) & the evident quality of the VisionTek memory allows what I have achieved. :cool:

Not all cards are created equal, tho'. YMMV (your mileage may vary) :D I do *think* your in the 'safe' range, by the sound of things. When I have oc'd too high (oops) the card has locked up immediately.

HIH,
  5. eveneannenevs

eveneannenevs Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 20

thanks, could it be possible for me to mount my own fan? if so... how do i go about doing that without damaging the core/memory? i just want to get the most out of it until i upgrade later on.
  6. JAV

JAV Newcomer, in training Posts: 264

Here's a handy little fan (quiet too) that fits a PCI bay. http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=275724 If your card is AGP & the AGP port is above the PCI slots: mount this in your top PCI bay & it will draw heat off the card & if your card is PCI: mount it under the card. You may have to move other cards down a slot & if you don't have enough slots/bays (check 1st) this won't work. ;)

You *could* mount a CPU fan on the card, but where would it blow the heat & how much room would you have for a fan? I have a 92mm case fan blowing in the side of my open case hooked up to an external power supply. 43cfm. :cool: [below on right]

There's a cooling & modding forum here. They can give more tech info, I do stuff $imple. One thing: keep non-magnetically sheilded fans away from the comp. :rolleyes:

HTH,

[​IMG] [​IMG]
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.