GeForce 4 4200ti bad device or bad driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My GeForce 4 4200 ti (64mb model) is starting to act strange. I am getting the infinite loop
"The driver nv4_disp for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates."
The computer was working flawless with xp home. Ran graphics intensive progs such as BF1942 and Tiger Woods 2005 at highest resolution perfectly. I would get occasional (once per week) game crash to desktop at worst. I tried to upgrade to pro (im stupid) and the games would be very choppy. BF1942 was unplayable. Got intermittent white screens (no scenery). I uninstalled, wiped drive clean and reinstalled home edition. Updated drivers, updated 4-1, updated BIOS. Game wont even load now. I get the above error with older driver xp loaded, and after using several more recent including most recent from NVidia.com the game wouldnt load all the way, just freeze. ALT F4 would close prog. but no error report.
It worked fine before O/S tinkering, I reseated video card in AGP slot, and there isnt any visual signs the card is shot.....however, If I start computer in WinME off slave drive, it still refuses to load BF1942 which is still on that drive from a year ago.

It wont work with 2 O/S yet worked flawlessly before I messed with a good thing. Is this just a coincidence that is burnt when i installed xp pro or is there some conflict somewhere that I cant find. I dont want to buy another card to have it tell me the same loop situation...

Thx for reading my novel

Beg

P.S. no other hardware change was made since feb.
gigabyte of ddr

My GeForce 4200ti died too. When I looked closely at the board i saw a popped capacitor. If felt hot to the touch when the computer was running while the other caps just like it felt cool. I replaced the cap with a simular one but it had the same problem. Something must be causing it to overheat. Thanks John Carmack your DOOM3 game blew out my vid card! :mad:
I dont suppose anyone out there knows enough about electronics to give me some good advice on how to fix it??? Reach me at www.cyberzilla.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back