Geforce 4 Flashing Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had an NVIDIA Geforce 4 Ti 4600 for about two years and haven't had any hardware related problems with it until recently. The built-in fan failed, but it didn't effect performance until recently. Now, whenever I play a game that requires any 3d performance, such as Half-Life 2 or World of Warcraft, the screen will randomly flash off and on, the monitor saying that it has lost signal. This will happen for as short as 10 seconds or indefinitely, until I turn the game off and come back several hours later. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to the problem, as opening the case and blowing cold air into the card doesn't help.

In certain cases, if I push it too hard and try to keep playing despite the random loss of signal, the computer itself will start to lock up, jamming in place for about two seconds before releasing. If it gets to this, it will keep doing it even when I'm on the desktop, making any music I play buzz loudly.

I'm thinking that I'm going to have to buy a new card, but I'd rather not if I don't have to, as the Geforce 4 still works great on Doom 3 and Half-life 2.

you have to fix the fan or get a new card. if your cpu didnt have a fan it would overheat and the system wouldnt run. same with your video card. the chip is fried or getting fried, especially in those heavy duty games.

Mm, that's what I thought, but I tried putting a heavy-duty desk fan right on the card, and it felt relatively cool to the touch but still flashed on and off. I'm not doubting that it's a fan issue, but it seems strange that it wouldn't respond to that. Also, the actual lockups confuse me; could they be caused by the video card as well?

Also, are these fans replaceable? It seems like it's grafted in, but I'm no expert on this type of hardware. How much would a replacement cost, how tough would it be to install (or get the old fan out), and would it be worth giving it a shot at this point? Or might my card be toast?

they do sell replacement fans, but i'd guess that if you played for awhile without a working fan, it might not help. just look up your card in a search and add the word fan. sorry i couldnt help more.

if you are going to get a new card tht is quite gd then maybe around 100 quid?
price just depends on what you want really.

Valirus said:
Mm, that's what I thought, but I tried putting a heavy-duty desk fan right on the card, and it felt relatively cool to the touch but still flashed on and off. I'm not doubting that it's a fan issue, but it seems strange that it wouldn't respond to that. Also, the actual lockups confuse me; could they be caused by the video card as well?

Also, are these fans replaceable? It seems like it's grafted in, but I'm no expert on this type of hardware. How much would a replacement cost, how tough would it be to install (or get the old fan out), and would it be worth giving it a shot at this point? Or might my card be toast?

Yes the lockups could be caused by your video card.

You may or may not be able to get a replacement fan, but if the video card itself is on it`s way out then this would not help.

If it were me I would just get a new card.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back