GeForce 5200... Fried?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I bought a new Dell computer nearly a year and a half ago. It's quite the machine: 3.02GHZ, 1GB Ram, 80 GB HD, WinXP, lots of software doodads, etc. It also came with a GeForce 5200 FX graphics card. Now after a year and a half, naturaly i hace come accross many viruses on this computer, and being as lazy as i am, i frequently refresh the computer.... The computer came with installation disks that made everything really easy, so it wasn't a problem... Then it got interesting...

One day i was sittin arround playing Lineage 2 when all of a sudden the game froze... so i Ctrl+Alt+Del ed out of it and kept trying to play it again, but it kept freezing... so did Dawn of War... so did Diablo 2... so did WoW... so i figured something must be seriously wrong with my comp, so of course, i refreshed it... then it got crappy...

I refreshed the computer like i had done over and over and over, everything looked great, got the operating system up and running, got the networking stuff together, but something wasn't right. There was an odd graphical twitch in the monitor. Figuring it was simply because of the new drivers, i restarted the computer (which i was suppose to do anyway). When the computer booted up, the monitor leaped into all sorts of fancy colors, clicked off and on, and went... well... i thought it was gunna explode, how bout that...

Now every time i start the computer, it struggles snd struggles just to get passed the profile loading screen on Windows XP. it can make it past it about 1/3 of the time, other times it just freezes... i have no idea what to do, i've done absolutely everything i can possibly think of.

If any of you have had this problem, or think they might know how to fix this problem, PLEEEEAAAASE help me. I would REAAALLLY appreciate it... i sure as hell don't wanna be spendin another couple hundred bucks replacing a damn video card.

Thnx

Jason C.

costa_j_a@hotmail.com

If you happened to have installed the 77.72 graphics driver, uninstall it and try an older one such as the 71.89 or older.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back