GeForce 6200 vs. ATI Radeon 9800

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tifc8lraz

I am tired of my graphic card, as it is underpowered. I am trying to decide what to get in place of it and I'm looking at the Radeon 9800se 128-bit 128mb video card. My GeForce is 64-bit 128mb video card. Should I stay with my vid card or get the Radeon. My budget is between $60-70. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

9800 is old.

cfitzarl said:
I am trying to decide what to get in place of it and I'm looking at the Radeon 9800se 128-bit 128mb video card. My GeForce is 64-bit 128mb video card. Should I stay with my vid card or get the Radeon. My budget is between $60-70. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
The Radeon 9800 is needlessly old. Assuming you need an AGP card, ATI makes several of their newer X series cards in AGP format, all of which are faster than the 9800 now, and a cheap one can be had for under $50.

You don't mention which model GeForce you have, but if you are looking to upgrade, you're probably not going to get enough of a performance boost @ $60-$70 to justify replacing your GF.

What model do you have? (oops, I see it's a 6800. You definitely won't see much of an improvement then.)

Mugsy said:
What model do you have? (oops, I see it's a 6800. You definitely won't see much of an improvement then.)

I think you dont "see" very well :haha: :haha:. He has a Geforce 6200 128MB 64 bit card.

So, any card ranging from a 9600PRO or better, will be WAY better than a 6200-

The 9600XT is blazingly fast and can run most new games, including NFS:MW on full settings. I would suggest u go with the 9600XT in wolfram's post.

:suspiciou The 9600XT can run NFS MW at full settings??????? then definitely there's something wrong with my computer! I have that card!! I have that game and I can't go Max settings, even at 1024x768 i got the annoying frame skipping! :bounce: that's why I don't want my 9600XT anymore, no doubt it's a good card but right now is getting old and won't run newer games, even Age of Empires 3 i have to sacrifice some details to make it run smooth, that's why I'm gonna get the 7800 GS :p so think twice before buying the 9600XT!! depend on what kind os games want to play and of course how good your system is! Good Luck :wave:

rmdl51, u must be having a slow processor or not enough RAM or a combination of the two. I have 4 friends with a 9600XT each, who play NFS:MW with all details maxed out at 1024x768 with no lag at all. Hence the recommendation.

Much too kind

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
The 9600XT is blazingly fast and can run most new games, including NFS:MW on full settings.
You must have a very generous idea of "blazingly fast" if you think a 9600XT is not loosing frames at that level of detail.

"rmdl51" has a 9600xt and doesn't like the performance. "cfitzarl" is not going to see much of a difference with the 9800.

You can do some side-by-side vcard comparisons here.

The low-end cards in the test will all out-perform a 9800 and cost under $100.

Assumptions based on one user's review doesn't seem to convince me, especially since I've seen otherwise. I've even seen Battlefield 2 run on medium settings on the card and it's pretty smooth. As I said, rmdl51 must have other slow components that are causing the slow performance, not the card itself.

Hi! Maybe some components incompatible I believe, but no slow component, P4 3.4Ghz HT, MOBO Asus P4P800E-Deluxe, 3GB or DDR-PC3200 are sooo good enough to run fast and smoothly those kind of games and that's what i have, a friend have a P4 3.0 Ghz 1GB and ATI 9800 XT and run those games better than me and I have a better Processor and more RAM, so definitely something wrong between my system and video card, not sure what it is, but my guess was always my video card is getting old, bought this 9600XT 2years ago and back then was sooo good, but i remember I got problems of incompatibility with some games (true crime LA) when i called Activision they told me the 9600 series were incompatible with that game, I put that card on my old eMachines T2080 before this system and worked good with the exception that the MOBO was incompatible that won't let me play simpsons hit and tun, tomb raider angel of darkness and some more, then I build this system and let me play everything back then, but now well already told the history :approve:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back