geForce 6600 crashing issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so here is the story:
I was having a problem with my old graphics card (geforce 5700LE) when i would play world of warcraft. the game would randomly pause for several seconds, the audio would loop, both ingame and over teamspeak, then the game would unpause and keep going. every now and then when the game would start going again I would get texture errors where the game would retexture objects with the wrong textures or get all kinds of weird bright colored geometry all over the screen.
So i purchased the evga geForce 6600 hoping to fix the problem. Its only become worse. I installed the card and things were working great for a while. then the game froze up after probably an hour or so of play in the same manner it did on my old card. however this time when it started going again it was only for a frame or 2, then the whole computer locked up and i had to do a hard reset. when then i noticed my processor was posting as an athlon 1300+, not as an athlon 3000+ which is what it is.
So i put in my bios flash disk, update the bios which then sets the processor back up to 3000+. I start playing wow and it crashes in the same manner again. At this point i want to see if any other game has the same problem so i try star wars battlefront 2. As soon as the game tries to launch it crashes the computer.
I call evga. they tell me to hook the card up to its own power supply branch. i do that. the only available branch is coming of the floppy so i unplug the floppy. the change in the hardware sets the processor back down to a 1300+.
however, when running the comp with the processor clocked as a 1300+ the games dont crash. i'm looking for any feedback at all as this problem is really irritating. I've had some tell me its a power supply issue, some say its a FSB issue and i'm boggled. system specs below
Thanks for your time in reading this long post :D

System running:
amd athlon xp 3000+ (currently set to 1300+ by the bios)
1.5gb ram
evga geforce 6600
asus a7n8x motherboard

updates:
i've updated the vid card drivers, the chipset drivers and the bios.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

What psu do you have?

If it`s a cheap no name brand. It`s quite possible that it is causing your problems.

Look at this psu wattage calculator HERE

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

ok i just checked the psu, its some brand called enlight, and its only 315w. my buddy put it in my comp a few years ago and told me it was a 450 so i had no reason to doubt it. guess i'll see about trying a new psu :D. also checked the 12v rail and it is only 15a.

david3urns said:
ok i just checked the psu, its some offbrand, and its only 315w. my buddy put it in my comp a few years ago and told me it was a 450 so i had no reason to doubt it. guess i'll see about trying a new psu :D

Wow. It`s a wonder the psu doesn`t blow up lol.

Seriously. That psu apart from being underpowered could damage your system if it fails.

Get a good quality psu ASAP.

Take a look at the psu thread HERE

Lot`s of info and advice on which psu`s are worth buying, and more importantly, which psu`s to avoid.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back