TechSpot

Geforce 6600GT vs. Geforce 6800GS

By azrael
Mar 9, 2006
  1. Asus vs. MSI & Leadtek

I am about to upgrade my pc. Recently I have selected Asus Extreme N6600GT SILENCER /HTD/256MB DDR3 (128Bit), PCI-E graphic card. However, it has finished in the market and cannot be supplied in my country. I heard that MSI and Leadtek have similiar quality cards.

Can anyone tell me about performance-quality comparison of Asus vs. MSI, and Asus vs. Leadtek?

Also, these are the cards I have been offered to consider:

Leadtek: WinFast PX6800 GS TDH
    WinFast PX6800 GS TDH Extreme
    WinFast PX6800 Ultra TDH

MSI: NX 6800 GS - TD256E
    NX 6800 Ultra - T2D256E
    NX6800 GT - TD256E
    NX6800 GT - T2D256E

Comparing the Asus Extreme N6600GT SILENCER /HTD, I can easily notice the Engine Clock (GPU) as better from most models in MSI & Leadtek. But the others options listed above has twice the memory interface than Asus 6600 GT Silencer/HDT

BUT, My question mainly focuses on the Quality-Performance of Asus and the other two: MSI & Leadtek.

Thank you.

2. azrael

azrael TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hi all,

I can't decide whether if I buy Asus Geforce6600 GT Silencer/HTD or MSI Geforce6800 GS. or Leadtek Geforce6800 GS? Can anyone help me?

3. mossimoboy

mossimoboy TS Rookie Posts: 121

I would go with the 6800GS.

It doesn't really matter what the brand is, just do a little research and
    make sure it has good reviews, the company is trustworthy, etc.

One more thing, take a look at the clocks on the 2 6800gs's. See which one is higher, and the pixel pipelines too.

4. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,404

Forget about the 6800GS, there is a new kid on the block.

The 7600GT. About the same price (a few extra bones) and performs MUCH MUCH better.

5. azrael

azrael TS Rookie Topic Starter

7600 Gt...

You sure DonNagual? Because 7600 GT's has a 128 bit memory interface, although it has a higher core and memory clock rates. Have yoo seen any test results regarding the 7600 GT?

6. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,404

7. Mirob

Mirob TechSpot Paladin Posts: 462

There is another new kid, the x1800gto was released on paper today. It should realy be out in a week or two. It has 256bit memory and retails for $199.00, the INQ said. It's the best card in that price range.
    http://legitreviews.com/article/313/1/
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30210

8. sjps220

sjps220 TS Rookie Posts: 106

I've been reading reviews of this card and I'm starting to really consider it. I have a 6600gt right now, and I haven't had any problems with it, but some of the newer games are starting to recommend higher. I was just going to post and see what people thought of this card. Depending on the price its selling for locally, I may sell my 6600gt to a friend who wants it and get one of these.

It seems like people are making a big deal of the 128 bit memory. The benchmarks look quite good

In this review: http://legitreviews.com/article/312/1/

It holds its own with the 1800XL and GTO, while blowing away my 6600gt

9. sjps220

sjps220 TS Rookie Posts: 106

mirob, the first link you posted says that the gto will retail for 250.

At the end of that article (the same benchmarks as my link, just a different review...oops!) they say "If price were the same or you have the budget for the GTO it would be our choice, but that is a very big 'IF.'"

10. Mirob

Mirob TechSpot Paladin Posts: 462

Too bad we can't buy it. Then we will find out who is right. Prices have always been said to be $200-$250. Anyway, it is much faster with setting on high compared to a 128 bit card, and who knows a BIOS flash my open the other pipe lines. The INQ has moles.

ATI Readies Massive Price Slash – Sources.
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20060303052240.html

11. truflip

truflip TS Rookie Posts: 390

get the 7600GT, it'll be the new mainstream card heh.. the 6800GS will probably become the new budget card (just like the 6600GT was)

as for brands, well.. i like eVGA.. mainly cuz theyre usually cheaper and jsut as good (except for their loud fans, which most ppl end up changing anyway for better cooling)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.