GeForce 7100 GS - nightmare rainbow screen and stop error!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there!

I've been searching for info to help me repair a display issue I have with my 128mb geforce 7100 GS card. I'm running it on an AMD Sempron 2800, Albatron KM51G motherboard, 512 RAM. All low end, but part of an almost complete "upgrade" only 8 months ago. Only the hard drive remains the same from last year.

I've had probs with the card before, mostly during or following playing games, such as Battle for Middle Earth 2. The display becomes garbled, has lines or grids of interesting patterns and colours and is essentially unusable. It has always ended up coming right by itself.

This recent time, I got the stop error msg from Windows (XP Home), detailing the prob was with the video device driver.(A possible contributing factor could be a friend who fiddled with my display settings only a day prior to this. hmmm). I duly downloaded an updated driver from NVIDIA, and went through the uninstall/reinstall procedure till I'd ground my teeth down, but nothing worked, or if it appeared to work, then it didn't last for long. The thing keeps restarting and showing me really screwed up graphics. Now I cannot get into safe mode - picture is still screwed and even in the BIOS, I had some white flashes of inteference and eventually had to ESC out blind, as the pic went into a rainbow hash!

I'm too noob and unconfident to update my BIOS and wondered if it would need updating really? I was able to on and off start in safe mode with networking, but now it has really crapped out and I'm on another puter. I have tried linking my puter to different monitors and the same thing happens, discounting old monitor as a problem here.

I guess what I'm hoping someone can tell me is: If I can't get in via safe mode, how can I uninstall the damn thing and just use onboard graphics? I thought I might uninstall all the NVIDIA items carefully, then check the seating of the card and try again. A memory test would also be a good idea. Any way of getting in to Windows to do that do you think?

Hopefully I've made a little sense! I'm right at the start of the learning curve, so this site will be ideal.

Classic faulty graphics card symptoms im afraid.

Replacement is your only real option.

Its probable that the fan has stopped working and the graphics card overheated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back