GeForce 7800 give me a thumbs up please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cirion

ok heres my issue, im looking to upgrade my video card, seeing as how im still not used ot the whole pci idea i want to stick with AGP, plus i dont want to buy a new motherboard and video card. I was looking at the 7800 becuase it seemed like it might be the last good agp card before they are done away with. When i looked into it i saw alot of bad reviews of not working or in-compatible motherboards. On the evga website i cant find alot of support on what will and wont work, several people have just RMAed 4 times until a card works. i just wanted to know if anyone has more insight becuase when reading thier post it wasnt suprising that the moderators just told everyone that sure the card will work, and if it doesnt just try another. Heres my system specs:

ECS 865PE-A (1.2)
P4 3.0 HT
2G PC3200 DDR
250GB SATA WD HDD
Sapphire Radeon 9800PRO 128mb
Sony DVD-ROM
ASUS 32x CD-RW
350W P/S Rosewill brand, i know i atleast need a new one of these
5 case fans (4x80 1x120)

everything else i use on board, my main concern is the board, not really a gaming or high end board, so im afraid i will have to upgrade board anyway, which in turn will lead me to buy a pci-express card anyway. Any thoughts?

old habits die hard

yeah ive checked the stats and i kow its true, but AGP is like my comfort zone, i still feel like im stepping down if i were to use a PCI card, even though stats are very clear that i wouldnt be. I dunno, guess its a mental block i gotta overcome and accept AGP's death.

There is no way agp is better

AGP- 8/4
PCIE- 16/6

PCIE are way better and cheaper. The interface is about 2 times faster then agp.

UPGRADE THAT MOBO TWO A PCIE BOARD!!!!!!!!!!

It wouldn't be worth the cost to upgrade to a pci-express board, just get a 7800gs in agp format. If it's agp, it should work with your board. I guess the "bad" reviews you saw are when people received "dead on arrival (DOA)" cards.
I like this one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130274

Also, it will be somewhat hard to find a socket 478 motherboard with a pci-express slot. Boards like that were made, but aren't easy to find any more.

Cirion said:
yeah ive checked the stats and i kow its true, but AGP is like my comfort zone, i still feel like im stepping down if i were to use a PCI card, even though stats are very clear that i wouldnt be. I dunno, guess its a mental block i gotta overcome and accept AGP's death.
It's not a PCI card, it's PCIe. PCIe is the chosen graphics slot in today's Mobos. If you still feel you want an AGP card you have a thumbs up by me for the 7800 GS.

i have a P4 3.0 sitting socket L775 sitting around and since vnf4ultra said it is hard to find a 478 PCI-E MB i guess i can just upgrade. Is it going to hurt much if i still use DDR 400 or should i just go all out and upgrade ram as well? Thanks for all the replys, guess im just behind in the times, havent upgraded video card in a while but i guess all the stats and 99% of people cant be wrong.

DDR is ok. Even I use DDR 400 and I have an FX-57. So save that money. As for AGP, get a 7800 GS or a 7600 GS if ur a bit short on cash. They're the best AGP cards around ATM. If ur an ATI buff though, u would get a X800 series card(the XL or XT) but its verry pricey so if u've got the dough and u like ATI, thats what u would get. I would personally prefer a 7800GS though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back