Not open for further replies.
Well I'm soon to be the proud owner of a:

Pentium 4 3.6ghz processor
Intel D915PBL Desktop Board
Gig Stick of DDR2
Athenatech a602bs.400W case
GeForce 7800 OC

etc.

Now what I ask of thee ladies and gentlemen is this...
I'm curious if the power consumption on this video card considering its asking for 12v @ 26A. In the installation it assumes that I'm going to use the split power connector to hook up the card and a hard drive, which I'm not planning on doing. If anyone can find more info on this case good luck.
Athenatech.us seems a little....lax.
What I'm really asking is, should I turn this sucker on and hope something happens; remove everything from the case and exchange it(don't know about that one); DIY/Professionally replace the power supply.

Getting the processor tomorrow :D:D:D:D:D

Well, I just did some searching to get more info on your PSU, and came up dry. Found your case, including the makers homepage, but no details on the PSU.

Scary.

If you are planning on running a 7800 card in there, you're going to want some good juice.

No name PSUs are a nightmare. Do a search on this forum, and you'll find all kinds of people with problems that are extremely hard to diagnose. A lot of them have roots in people doing cheap on their PSU.

Highly recommend taking out that PSU that comes with that case, and putting in something that'll properly power your system.

You should be looking for a minimum of 450 watts, and at least 26a on the 12v. My psu has dual 12v rails for a total of 32a. That's about what you need to look for.

Your PSU should be made by a company such as antec, enermax, fortron etc.

Well now I'm wondering if I was wrong.
I'm getting a power supply today(If anyones here to help me out :D)
hopefully because I've been reading up on this whole 12v "rails"
stuff. Heres what I've found googling around the net:

+3.3v:- 32A
• +5v: 38A
• +12v1: 18A
• +12v2:17A
• -5v: n/a
• -12v: 1A
• +5vsb: 2.5A
• Combined Power: 240W
• Total Power: 580W

Now am I to assume that would mean its got TOTAL power of 35 amps?
So instead....if I had +12v1 as 15 and +12v2 as 14(450w rating on the PS), would that power this GeForce 7800 with its consumption of 26amps? I've been hearing that everything is run in series so the amp pull won't go any higher than the most power hungry part in the series...right? I'm just curious if that extra 3 amps leftover will be enough to run a dvd drive, the MB, key board/mouse etc.

Hope someones here listening :D

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

As DonNagual has suggested, PSU's are the one
place most of us tend to skimp on. This can and
does cause many a problem.
A general rule of thumb:
If you are wondering if 450w is enough, it isn't.
Quality brand name PSU 500w or better ends the question
on power. leading to stability in the OS, games and such.
You have a good system going there with some good componants,
it makes no sense to to skimp on power.

G'Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back