GeForce 7950, PNY or Evga?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Boxy Brown

I can not decide between these two cards. The Evga is just barely faster than the PNY and I know Evga's a really good company for video cards, but so is PNY, and right now I have a PNY 7800GT. I just don't know which one to buy. I've read some reviews of people saying that the Evga is loud and uses a lot of power. As of right now I'm leaning toward the PNY.

Well, I'd get EVGA. They offer a great warranty, and should make great, quality cards.

And an EVGA card will use the same power as a PNY card. I don't know what is that people talking about :unch:

I'd go a eVGA 7900GTO blows both of those out of the water, here is a newegg link- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130065 It has a sweet GTX cooler and is a great card, which i will be using for my build i will be ordering soon, already ordered the RAM!! (2GB DDR2-667) But i would go eVGA, because of trade-up and stuff. And they make this awesome 7900GTO which you should buy instead, its better AND cheaper :). The core clock is 90Mhz higher on the GTO, but the memory is crippled due to this card being a GTX, but with underclocked memory, but can easily be overclocked to GTX speeds, which might i add, 2 GTX beats Quad SLI.

Yeah, I was thinkingthat too, so I looked up the specs on newegg. The PNY does say that it requires a lower PSU to use, I don't know though.

Yeah I don't think I'm goona go with the PNY anymore, I was reading about that XFX card though. It does look pretty cool, but I never bought anything from XFX before, is their stuff reliable.

XFX is a great brand. Reliable, pretty, good quality cards.

Regarding the 600W PSU, what brand is it? I hope it's not a Powmax one...

Don't be fooled by the wattage rating, you need to have a good, solid PSU, with more than 25A on the +12V rail, or your system will crash or BSOD when you play any intensive 3d game.

PNY is just trying to sell their cards, you'll regret it, the eVGA will be cooler because its heatsink/fan covers ALL the memory chips, and the PNY only covers the GPU. Hotter tempatures for the PNY because the Heatsink is smaller and dosnt even COVER the RAM.

No, the power supply is a Thermaltake Toughpower 600 Watt PSU

That's a nice choice. Antec, Enermax or FSP would be better, but that Thermaltake should be good enough :)

Now I guess the only choice left would be, should I get the Evga or the XFX.

eVGA seriously, has the better heatsink, unless you mean the silent XFX, i would get the silent XFX if the decision was up to me. But the eVGA is sweet too.

Ok Boxy, Why are you neglecting the fact that the 7900gto is superior to the 7950gt? The specs speak for themselves. It is 100 Mhz faster for like 40 bucks less. Plus it also had 512 mb ram. Just cause the 7950 has a "50" instead of a "00" doesn't mean anything. The 7900gto's are 7900gtx's with around 7900-7950 ram speeds. The 7950 is just a 7900gt with 50 more mhz and double the ram, plus it costs more than the 7900gto. THINK.

Yeah, I was looking at it. I don't know anymore, because I read that Nvidia's DX10 cards are coming out in November, so I might just wait for one of those. But the first generation of DX10 cards might not be so good at launch. I don't know I'm might just get the GT or the GTO

They are NOT coming out then, that would be pre-vista, and would have NO support, and would be buggy for first gen cards probably.

Well, I have been reading a lot of things on different websites saying that the G80 GPU's are coming out in November. And now Techspot also has one saying that they are coming out in November. So I don't know if I should wait to buy one of them or buy the GTO. I'll probably go with the GTO because it is a really powerful card for the price. The only difference is the GTO has a 650 core clock and the GT has a 560, but at the same time the GTO has a slower memory clock of 1320, while the GT has 1450.

Also, don't worry to much about DX10. Just beacuse it will be out doesn't mean that there will be any use for them right away. Games and other apps will need some time to sort themselves out.

core is more important than mem clock. they are both important though. the extra price of the 7950gt doesn't warrant it's rams speeds. If you want to match those ram speeds you can easily overclock the 7900gto's ram. It can handle high overclocks because it has a 2 slot cooler vs the 7950 gt's one slot cooler. The 7900gto is literally a GTX that eVga is trying to get rid of so that they can sell their 8000 series. I called eVga and found this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back