GeForce 8800GTX power requirements...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings all. My question is with regards to a suitable PSU for 2 GeForce 8800GTX's in SLI. I am planning to use this setup in the rig I am building. However, I got the PSU the other day, ( a Coolmax 700 watt modular PSU that does support SLI ) but while looking at pictures of the video card on Newegg, I see the 8800GTX has two 6 pin power connectors on it. I am assuming that means with 2 cards in SLI I will need four 6-pin power cables from the PSU. The PSU I bought only has 2. All of the PSU's I looked at have only 2. So, if anyone out there has a GeForce 8800GTX, do you need to use both 6 pin power connectors ? Also, if in fact both of them are needed, what PSU is suitable for 2 of these cards in SLI ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I believe that two molex connections can be made into a 6 pin power connector with an adapter cable, but then you need 4 molex connections that you wont be able to use for anything else. Not sure if this can be done in any other way though, someone else will come along with an answer.

Go to the Nvidia site for SLI certified power supplies. The first category is for Dual GeForce 8800 GTX. Any of those should be suitable. Click here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back