Geforce 9600 GSO PSU issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

First time poster, having an issue I couldn't solve through your search function or google.

I have a XFX GeForce 9600 GSO 768mb PCI-E card. I have had it for 3 months now, running great on my machine. I have an Ultra 500 watt PSU.

Today while browsing the web my computer shut down as if I pulled the cord out of the wall, I was unsure of the problems and after 4 hours of physical inspection and trying everything possible I have come to the conclusion that the video card mentioned is the problem.

System will not even power on if the card is connected to the PSU through the 6 pin connector. I've replaced the PSU, replaced my Power Button (thought these were the problems first) and nothing is responding with my graphics card plugged into the PSU.

The computer runs fine with Onboard video on and I don't have another video card to test the slot. Kinda on a low low budget atm too.

Things only 3 months old and was running like a champ, so I am confused. Any help on this would be great!

Thank you,
Sulamar

PS:
I have Windows XP Professions
AM2 2.61 Dual Core / 2 GB memory (checked and they are running fine)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Reiterating the PSU has been checked and does work.

From your description and diagnostics it certainly does sound like a defective video card.

One caution here, your onboard video requires a lot less power than the 9600GT. So the PSU powering the system with onboard graphics, doesn't necessarily guaranty it will still power it with the card installed.

BTW, the brand of your PSU doesn't really ring a bell, it might not actually meet spec. Although there's no telling whether it doesn't meet spec enough to cause problems with a 9600GT, which should run easily on a decent 400 watt PSU.

I guess the best thing to do is try to find a video card to test in the slot. That would eliminate the PCI-E controller as a possibility. It seems prudent making the extra effort to take this step. Your video card is well within warranty, but what would happen if you sent back a good one? Best guess/worse case, it gets sent right back, and you get hit up for the shipping both ways.

Technicial issue, though I am not very clearly this problem, but I have learned something from captaincranky reply. Thanks anyway !

Try running the video card in the slot without the six-pin connector attached to rule out a bad connector. The system should boot into Windows, and you should get a message about your graphics card capability being limited by your PSU or something of that sort. If it doesn't do that either, you have a bad card.

Try running the video card in the slot without the six-pin connector attached to rule out a bad connector. The system should boot into Windows, and you should get a message about your graphics card capability being limited by your PSU or something of that sort. If it doesn't do that either, you have a bad card.

Okay, I was able to boot my PC with the video card in as long as it is not plugged into the PSU via 6 PIN.

Does this mean the card is bad or the PSU?

Captaincranky, thank you for the fast reply. I do not have the ability to test it as you have requested until a little later tonight. Got a buddy running me up some equipment. I will get back to you on that.

Thanks for all the help and continued support.

It seems to me that if the machine boots and the video card displays without the 6 pin connector plugged in, then the PSU is at fault.

This assumes that you now have the monitor plugged into the 9600 and not into the onboard video.

If that's the case, then it's the other way around and the video card is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back