GeForce FX 5200 128mb : "fluttering"

Status
Not open for further replies.
GeForce FX 5200 128mb : flashing

Hi, I have a problem with my GeForce FX 5200 128mb. (AGP)

when I play a 3D game, the graphics seem ok, but while playing, I can see some screen portions flashing and fluttering. What I see are some little lines, or sometimes, big triangles, fluttering and flashing while I play...and this is terrible annoying

My mainboard is an ECS K7S6A, and all Sis AGP and NVIDIA drivers are installed (last versions). also the Directx 9.0 is installed

I have WINXP

what can I do...???

THANKS!
David

This happens everytime you play ANY 3D game? Strange. Have you tried changing any of your video settings? Is your card overclocked at all? Are you sure that your system is running at a cool enough temperature (video card in particular).

I have noticed that the video card is pretty hot when I opened the case
do you think I should cool it down??

Yeah I noticed that, when I first start the game everything is fine (and the video card is cool)..then, while playing hard, the video card starts getting hot and then, the problem on the game comes out...!

Do I have to install a cooler or should I try to work on video card options???

Well if your card isn't overclocked, the stock cooler that is on there should do the trick. The only thing I can think of is that there is something wrong with the heat sync and fan if there is one. Make sure the heat sync is fastened to the GPU correctly, and if it doesn't have a fan, make sure that there is sufficient thermal paste applied. Changing the video options shouldn't make any difference; after all, at stock clocks a video card is designed to stay cool no matter how much work you are giving it. Hope this works for you.

Folk666, did you manage to sort out the problem?

I've just purchased a FX5200 and the mainboard has a SiS chipset that has integrated video. Plugging the card into the mainboard did indeed disable the integrated video.

The computer works fine. Quite stable. Putting in the video adapter was without problems. Also, installing the display drivers off the manufacturer's CD went without a hitch. The computer is not overclocked.

The video problem is exactly the same as what you describe.

hi the same thing happen to me with my 5600 geforce 256Mb,i had to down grade to the 5200 which ia friend gave me. my 5200 has just a heat sink and the 5600 has a fan and heatsink. does anyone know if the fan has to be pluged in some where or does it run of the pci slot power, the manul is unclear it say the next card up in the series need's external power. if anyone can shed light on it , it would be great, i could use my old card agin

momalyd said:
hi the same thing happen to me with my 5600 geforce 256Mb,i had to down grade to the 5200 which ia friend gave me. my 5200 has just a heat sink and the 5600 has a fan and heatsink. does anyone know if the fan has to be pluged in some where or does it run of the pci slot power, the manul is unclear it say the next card up in the series need's external power. if anyone can shed light on it , it would be great, i could use my old card agin
I forgot to mention that the FX 5200 has just a heat sink and is not overheating. It's a new out-of-the-box graphics adapter.

momalyd said:
does anyone know if the fan has to be pluged in some where or does it run of the pci slot power, the manul is unclear it say the next card up in the series need's external power.

No the fan should run from the power supplied by the corresponding port it is in.
As far as power in general..what is the real wattage on your PowerSupply? It should be on the side of it. A 5600 should not take to much power..so i dont think that should be an issue (but you never know) Post back

Sean

my power suply is 340 watt. originaly i thought it was a power problem because the fluttering first started while i was playing a game called spellforce, the pc would sudenly reboot while saving the game, just like a trip switch. so i disconected the extra dvd and hdd drives i had installed. later i did a power usage annalisis and found it was in limits. it turns out that the game need too be pached to stop unexplaned reboots. but i still had the flutering graphics, i thought the rebooting might have dammaged the card, so i got the other one.

All video cards are SUPPOSED to keep cool with the stock cooler, but that all depends on the case, doesn't it?

I have a 5200, but my case is ****, and my video card gets HOT.

The best way to fix this is to install a fan in the center of the side that opens. It's pretty simple. Just buy a fan (if you can, get one that has a power connector like that of a hard drive or cd drive, in case your motherboard has no more fan connectors) and measure it. Cut an appropriate hole in the case, dead center (for asthetic reasons mostly) and mount the fan.

That's if you already have a fan at the back of your case, under the power supply. If you don't, put one there first. If the problem persists, put another in the side panel.

In the mean time, pop the side cover off when you're gaming. If it still gets hot, set an ordinary house fan by the computer, blowing air in. That's what I'm doing, until I get around to installing another fan.

You might also consider installing a fan in the top of your case. Side panel would work a little better though.

A method that's a little more expensive ($25) is to just get a PCI fan from Circuit City. This is just a fan that fits in the PCI clot under your video card, blowing air directly on it. This ALWAYS fixes the problem, and if you go with this, you could even do a bit of over-clocking (but I wouldn't).

Also, before you do ANY of this, find a program for your motherboard that will tell you the temperature of the inside of your case. I use Intel Active Monitor, because I have an intel board. Most programs like this will give you a CPU temp, a zone 1 temp, and a zone 2 temp. The only way to tell which components are in what zone is to play a game, and watch what temperature guage rizes the most. That's the zone your video card is in.

Most video cards work OK up to 50 degrees Celsius. If yours gets anywhere near there, you have a cooling problem.

If you can, get a temperature monitoring program that alerts you every time the temperature reaches a certain value, that way you don't keep gaming, shortening the life span of your video card.

Good luck.

cool thanks for the info, i got a new motherboard about 5 months ago and it a temp gauge built into it, it turns out i could cook a turkey in there, so i half took off the side pannle and it works a treat, i know its not good for the pc too have it off but i give it a good dusting out every three weeks with a de-ionised air canester, that should do it till i get my new case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back