TechSpot

GeForce FX 5200 Problems

By danchapman111
Sep 6, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi there, i recently installed a new graphics card (GeForce FX 5200). Once installed i noticed a difference in my PC performance, i used to play Championship Manager 03/04 and had no problems with performance until this new graphics card was installed. I decided to upgrade my memory from 256 to 640mb ram. I have noticed a difference in Windows load up time but nothing else really. CPU usage is at 100% usually. When windows first loads everything runs smoothly for 20mins or so untill it starts to slow down.
    If anyone could help i'd be very grateful.

System Details:
    Dell Dimension DIM2350
    Pentium 4 CPU 2.00GHz
    640 MB RAM
    GeForce FX 5200 128MB
    Windows XP
  2. ryssen_87

ryssen_87 TS Rookie

same problem

i have the same problem but my computer is starting to run slow at once in game (like World of Warcraft) i dont know what the problem is becous i didnt have this problem before
  3. jt713

jt713 TS Rookie Posts: 22

I have a friend with a 2350 from dell. It only has a 200 watt power supply. If everything is fine until the machine heats up the it may be the PSU.

You need a minimum of 250 watts on the specs for a geforce 4000 and up. I had the 5200 pci in a compaq with 250 watt power supply and it would still flake out by rebooting once in a while.

Everything you put in your machine uses watts up. If you have alot of stuff in it even 250 may not be enough.

Compusa has a 400 watt power supply for $10 with a $30 rebate. $40-$30=$10. A good upgrade for the 2350 because that P4 1.8 is way underpowered and very upgradable.

Component Wattage Required:

Motherboard 15-30
    Low-End CPU 20-50
    Mid To High-End CPU 40-100
    RAM 7 per 128MB
    PCI Add-In Card 5
    Low To Mid-Range Graphics 20-60
    High-End Graphics 60-100
    IDE Hard Drive 10-30
    Optical Drives 10-25

Let me know if this solves the problem. If everything is fine and then after sometime it goes bad that doesn't sound like a software problem. It is a PSU/heat problem I think, but I am not much of a tech.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.