GeForce FX 5700 LE freezez when graphic demanding programs run

Status
Not open for further replies.

tecatecs

Well I bought the GeForce FX 5700 LE Overclocked and when I install the card and run any game or w/e other program that requires the card's power, it freezez after ten seconds or so, and the monitor turns off. Also if I play movies, after a while it turns off too. :mad: I have Direct X 9.0 and one of the latest drivers of nVidia. Now its not the card itself because I put it in a friend's computer and it worked completely fine. Now, I don't know what is the problem or what to do. I tried calling the company for tech support but they didn't help. I sent the card to the company for a replacement and they sent it back but the same problem came up. Please help me!

To all you newbies in these forums, please post your complete computer specs. It will help us to help you alot faster!

5700 le

I had the 5700 le 256mb and on games like doom 3 and halflife 2 it would freeze after 20 minutes play.I took the side of and pointed a desk fan at it and it ran fine.now changed to a 6600 256mb and I'm very happy.my fps has gon from 5-9 up to 60-70.

ROCHESTER UK said:
I had the 5700 le 256mb and on games like doom 3 and halflife 2 it would freeze after 20 minutes play.I took the side of and pointed a desk fan at it and it ran fine.now changed to a 6600 256mb and I'm very happy.my fps has gon from 5-9 up to 60-70.

Any card sold with an LE or SE at the end is going to be a budget card, with budget acceleration.

5700 le

nucleardreams said:
Any card sold with an LE or SE at the end is going to be a budget card. If you are looking for high-end graphics avoid those diposable graphic accelerators.

didnt know at the time,i got it to redplace a ti4200 128mb and it didnt work as good.have a feeling the guy at the computer shop buys stuff on ebay and sells as new!

My computer specs are: Windows XP Professional, AMD Athlon XP 1.10 Ghz, 512 MB of 333mhz of DDRAM, 400-watt power supply, 80-gig hard drive, Elitegroup 741GX-M Motherboard (AGP 8X/4X and AMD specific only), Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1 Sound Card. What other specs you guys need?

(P.S. If all else fails, I'm going to buy and upgrade to a new motherboard, which I think its going to fix a lot of my problems.)

If you have not updated the BIOS to your mainboard try that. The newest version for the mainboard you have is 1.0f and can be found at www.ecsusa.com Some mainboards do not support overclocked graphic cards. I have taken a look at the Nvidia 5700LE and found out that there was a serious compatibility problem with a number of mainboards. If you know the maker of the card, try downloading a BIOS update for the graphic card itself, maybe the BIOS update will fix the compatibility problem with your mainboard.

Ridicolous

Now this is getting ridicously difficult. I download the BIOS update from that website you recommended, and what I download is a zip file, so, I unzip it and there's three files: a .BIN file and two text files. The two text files are not intructions and are just there to give you the version's information. Now I don't know what to do with that .BIN file! Please help!

(P.S. Where can I find video card BIOS updates? I can't find them in nVidia.com.)

ecs makes a genuinely bad product. run a mixed torture test using the program prime95. said program is available freely and you can google it to find a download site. you should let the test run for at least 45 mins and tell us how they went. these tests stress the cpu, mainboard, ram, and power supply, but not the graphics card. if you run into trouble, you can reasonably deduct that your problem is not being caused by your video card.

as far as that bios update...
the bin file you found is either a disk image or a file used by the update program to copy in the new bios code. how many kilobytes is the .bin file? you can try writing it to a floppy or cd as an image and boot from that.

BTW > sometimes manufacturers post the instructions on thier websites, i'd doublecheck the ecs website and the page(s) where you found your update.

Sorry about not getting back to you sooner. I reinstalled my OS with the Windows XP english version. I had been using the german variant of Windows, but it was driving me nuts. So I went out and bought the multi-lingual version, $160 at a german electronic store. It took me a day and a half to install everything, one reason being that I have a truck full of software that I use and the other reason being my birthday got in the way. About your BIOS update, unfortunately the ECS website doesn't offer much help on how to perform the update. Normally there are two ways to do an update to your BIOS. The first one is the easiest but does not apply to your situation. That is an automatic update performed directly from Windows. The second is done by copying an update utility along with the BIOS .bin file, provided by the mainboard builder, to a disk. The system must then be booted by a boot disk, Win 98 or later, into a virtual DOS mode that will allow you to access the update on the other disk. As soon as you get into the DOS mode you will see the command line "A:\". Without pressing anything on the keyboard pull the boot disk out from the disk drive. Put the update disk in your drive. At the command line "A:\" type "dir" and hit "enter". A list of data should show up on the screen. You will be looking for the line with an ".exe" on the end. Type the complete name into the command line and hit "enter". The BIOS setup utility should load from the disk. Now here is where you will be on your own, only because there are so many different utilities that I couldn't possibly explain all the processes to you. Just follow the instructions carefully. Remember if the utility does not support BIOS backup and you screw up the install, you will most likely have to buy a new board. I really recommend getting rid of that board you now own. Buy one from a reliable company, make sure it has a user friendly BIOS update utility and is compatible with the hardware you have. Most mainboard maker sites have compatibility lists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back