GeForce fx5200 freezes computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,

this post is related to this one https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic86206.html mine too...

the combinations in that post were related to a computer i described there...

now, this. I installed my geforce 5200 on another computer...this one has a diferent hardware....PC works just fine if i dont install de nvidia driver...if i install it, pc freezes at the "welcome" logo of windows xp........y tried the versions included in the original CD, and also a newer version 91.47 forceware...the original one freezes at setup...the 91.47 freezes at the welcome...

does this means this card is defective? it works ok without drivers...yet i dont got the horsepower of it that way.

thanks in advance.

Did you remove all previous graphic card drivers and software before fitting the new one? If not, do this and try again. It can also be helpful to boot into Safe mode to make sure there are no graphics devices still listed in device manager.

hi,

yes, actually it was running on a new windows xp installation....there were no other drivers installed before. I've seen too, now on this other computer that, video makes 2 or 3 refreshes and then it freezes. Without drivers works, with drivers crashes........i guess this card is gonna take a long one-way trip to the trash

yes, actually both motherboards have onboard graphics....in the first one, the one cited on the url at the beggining, i was using a PCCHips 810MLR...i chaged the bios setup for graphics from onboardAGP to PCI and still it was failing....now, in this other computer, it has a AsROck K7S41GX and in this one problem is the same, changing or not the bios setting for graphics

Sounds as if you are right in chucking the card! Don't throw it too far just in case the replacement also doesn't work! Wouldn't be the first time that has happened to an IT engineer.....

just to make sure for sure it isn't the card, i would try the card in another computer. If it still does the same thing you can pretty much rule out the card is taking its last breathes. :dead:

Hellow guys,

Albert, i kept the card :).......i tested it in another completely different computer away from this one (just in case, it could be possesed :D) and the card worked just fine...

I installed it back into my computer, and lowered the processor speed to 1150Ghz at 100Mhz bus frecuency and it has been working for about a moth just fine...what i understand here is that, somehow the 256Mb DDR1 memory included in the video card is a 100Mhz based one and when switching the board to 133Mhz bus frecuency manages to get conflict with the base ram frecuency...if you take a closer look it seems to be that same old memory speed mixing problem, just like when you mix a 66Mhz dimm with a 100Mhz one..it will simply crash /reboot the PC at certain point....and, it could be a stupid approach too :D...maybe not completely :)

So, i guess i'll have to get use to the idea of losing those 380Mhz from the processor speed in order to use my nvidia card :)

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back