GeForce overheating, dont know why

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a GeForce 7950 graphics card. I've had it for about a year now and just recently it starting having temperature problems. It used to run at 60 degrees C but just recently it have climbed to 90 decrees C. And thats on the desktop. When try to play any games (Counter Strike: Source) (Team Fortress 2) it will climb over 100 degrees C and turn of my computer. I reinstalled drivers and that didn't work. Help please

Sounds like the heat sink is clogged with dust or the thermal paste between the GPU and heat sink has an air bubble in it and over time the air bubble expanded and seperated the heat sink from the GPU. The first problem can be fixed with a can of compressed of air and the second would require you to dissasemble the video card and apply a new lawyer of quality thermal paste to the GPU.

You might also want to check if the fan is still in working condition. Run the computer briefly with the side off, and while its running, see if the fan on the graphics card is spinning.

If it is not, try running a game or something, it might need some load on it before it starts up (pretty unlikely, but lets just give it a go anyway)

Of course, try to clean out the dust as well, that always helps with temps.

Also if the fan is turning, U can download a program called RivaTuner v2.06 which u can speed up the fan on the video card with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back