geforce ti 4200 or geforce fx 5600?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much do you have to pay for them?

And why not think about getting a Radeon 9600pro?
(Unless you're getting either of the other cards dirt cheap)

The fx 5600 isn't a very good card and it won't be very future-proof...

Do you plan to keep the card for a long time, or upgrade in 6 months (or so)? And do you plan to play a lot of games which will be released during 2004, or mostly older games?

All of this will help determine what cards might be best suited to your needs...

radeon 9600 pro is a solid card (i have one) and it will easily overclock to xt levels because it runs a .13 micron process

I say just get the 9600 XT, a friend of mine purchased one the other day, and the card is awesome......Pretty inexpensive too...

And the fact that you get a gift-certificate for HL2 isn't too bad a thing either...

But the reason I suggested the 9600pro was that he's most likely trying to buy the cheapest upgrade, and as such, the 9600p is cheaper than the 9600xt...

I'm wondering why everyone avoinded your question entirely. You ask about for advice between two cards and they give you completely unrelated answers. Come on guys, this was multiple choice, and you all completely avoided it. While you guys have good points, it was not what he asked.

Anyway, what kind of things do you do with your PC? What types of games, etc...

right ok - the choise is 1 or the other.
ok then - the Ti4200
why?
faster at anything but DX9, VERY overclockable, cheap

if you are upgrading for DX9 shiny bits - the buy a 5700 Ultra - fast, cheap, overclockable - the NEW Ti4200 with DX9

Steg

Well, at the most I think that this ATI **** has gone on long enough, maybe you ATI buff's should just go head and go the Intel route on cpu's also...Know why Nvidia is dogging the last few months on production ? PCI Express ring a bell ? An inside source tells me that Nvidia and AMD are going to be exclusive with pci-x...Meaning ATI is going to be left in the dust and back to making Multimedia cards for guys with digital camcorders !!!!! A year and thats all it takes for you guys who I know used Nvidia cards before ATI got lucky in the market ???? I year is nothing compaired to almost 6 as the industry leader....They will get back on their feet when pci-x comes around in the next months...Just as a little hint AMD has recalled all of thier 64 bit cpu's to send out new ones that are pci-x complient.....So lets see what you guys are going to be saying about ATI in the about 6 months....Garuntee ATI will not even be in your vocabulary...

To answer your question. If you dont have a little FPS meter on the upper corner of your screen you will not notice the differance on playability...Either of those card will play todays games as well as tomorrows nicley. You might not have as much detail as one of a newer $400 cards. Thats the problem with the market today they tell you that to play this or that game you need a $400 card when in truth you can play the game fine with a lesser card. Example take a Voodoo 3 16 meg card and slap it into a decent system and play medal of honor or return to castle wolfenstien. Garuntee you it will be playable. And the reccomended cards for that game were a geforce 3ti or geforce 4200ti....So go with either one of the cards you prompted....The 4200 is faster and will cost you less and the 5600 will give you a little bit better detail...Id reccomend going with the 5600 due to it being a little newer tech and will last you a little longer and plays games such as UT 2003 and America's Army Flawlessly

Please refrain from using profanity JimShady, there is no need to turn this into an ATi vs nVidia debate. "we have more than enough of those around the forums already"

Jimshady: Mobo makers are producing pci-express boards around ATI pci-express spec, as ATI is currently the only one to have working silicone. Both the NV40 and R420 are rumored to be PCI express in 2004.

Back on topic:

I'd grab a Ti4200 over a 5600non-ultra, just b/c it's probably cheaper. The FX5600 still breakes down most DX9 functions to DX8 code, so you're not really losing any IQ. Basically, the cards are fairly equal, the Ti4200 probably a little faster than a non-ultraFX5600.:grinthumb

Well seeing is believing when it comes to ATI they have a bad habbit of belating things they say they have RIGHT NOW...And for the parnership that Nvidia and AMD have going at the moment I would assume that they have somthing big in the works REALLY SOON. Nvidia likes to blabber about release dates but AMD is kinda seclusive when it comes to stuff like that....You never know what product they are going to release lol....I think they do that on purpose....But all in all I have my favorites like anyone else..everyone does...not to bad mouth either or they both right now make good products and competion never hurt anyone

Originally posted by StormBringer
I'm wondering why everyone avoinded your question entirely. You ask about for advice between two cards and they give you completely unrelated answers. Come on guys, this was multiple choice, and you all completely avoided it. While you guys have good points, it was not what he asked.

Anyway, what kind of things do you do with your PC? What types of games, etc...

Well, you didn't answer his Q either, but rather re-stated one of my Q's....

I didn't recommend either of them, as it all depends on what he wants to use it for...
The GF4 ti4200 is the faster of the two, but if he'd like to get into DX9 programming/pixel&vertex shader programming, he'll be better off with the FX...

And I asked about the 9600pro, as it isn't that much more expensive, and will give him a better performance than the other two cards...

JimShady23>Lol... You think this is a very pro-ATI thread? 1 person asked if he had thought about buying an ATI card, one said he had one and that it was very good, and a third said the 9600xt was "sweet"...

We all have our favourite companies (like you say), but most of us try to give advice regardless of that...

As far as the PCI-Express part... I'm sorry, but I think you're way off the mark here...
If you take a look here, you'll see a bit info about ATI and PCI-Express (and the fact that ATI allready has working hardware for PCI-Express)...

When it comes to the AMD&Nvidia deal, well, couldn't that be something about Nvidia's nextgen chipset? As I doubt AMD is going to alienate all the ATI users...

You said that those of us who prefer ATI should go with Intel... Why? Because they've been on top the last year?
If so, then why aren't all older Nvidia users on Intel? Nvidia was the market leader for several years before ATI got their act together.... (They held the top from around the first Geforce until the end of the GF4 era)

Anyways, sorry for going so OT, but just wanted to make a couple of points...

I think the GF4 TI series of cards are nice, But they are DX7. I would pick the FX5600 if that was my only other case.

If this is your price range I would suggest a Sapphire Radeon 9800SE. It runs around $150.00 or so.

i want the best of both

i want to buy the best of this two cards!
i have a geforce 4 mx440 agp8x, but i need a card that can support vertex and pixel shaders to play prince of persia and slent hill 3!
thanks guys

Ok..

The best of these two cards for PoP and SH3 is imo the GeForce 4 ti4200...

They are both DX8 games, which means that the pixel&vertex shader in the ti4200 won't have any problems...
And as has been mentioned earlier, the 4200 is faster than the FX5600 in DX8 games...

But you could also save a bit on money, and just download 3D Analyze, and use that to run SH3 on your mx440...
At least that's what they say [url)=http://forums.gamespot.com/gamespot/board/message?board.id=914765&message.id=25]here[/url]

The same holds true for PoP, as you can read about here...

So my rec. is either the ti4200, or download 3D Analyze and play the games with that ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back