TechSpot

GeForce2 MX 64 mb Problems

By DavyD1995
Mar 22, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Need Help With a GeForce 2 MX 64 Meg

Ok I have a hercules GeForce 2 MX 64 Meg, it is under a year old I picked it up on April last year... Though I plan on buying a GeForce 4 next month I still plan on using this card in my older P3 550 MHz PC. But as of the past few weeks when I start my pc The video bios says 64 megs, but then when I do a reboot it reports 32 megs or even in some cases 16 megs of ram... and the WIndows XP Drivers screen even reports the same lost memory
    I have a
    230 Watt PS
    1.2 AMD 266MHz T-Bird
    ECS K7VZA main board
    512 megs of ram
    Soundblaster Live
    RealTek NIC card

Thanks

David

2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

I've had the same problem with a GeForce 1 DDR. At the time I had a K6-2 on an ASUS P5A & 230 watts PSU. At Bootup I had different amounts of Video Ram ( generally 16 or 32 ). This can happen for many reasons.

1. It might your PSU that's not powerfull enough for the card.

2. GeForce cards had many problems with the AGP slot. Certain board makers didn't respect the specs, that's why 3dfx decided to come out with their own solution ( HDD power header ).

I almost positive the PSU is the problem here. You should definitly upgrade it, I'm actually amazed the Athlon works on it at all.

3. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

My thougths exactly, I haven't heard of them running on anything lower than 300.

4. Cucumber

Cucumber TS Rookie Posts: 203

5. boeingfixer

boeingfixer TS Rookie Posts: 1,245

I would agree with the others too, AMD Athlons are quite power intensive. Anything you run over 1gig is recommended to use a 300w P/S. You may be able to get by with a 250 but I wouldn't chance it. You also should check out the AMD site and get an approved P/S from the list at AMD. www.amd.com

6. Gman

Gman TS Rookie

detanotor

get the detonator xp drivers from nvidia.com. I installed them, and although i was not having any problems with my card, some things started running better.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.