Geforce2 mx/mx 400 vs Radeon X1300pro DDR2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm looking for some help seeing as I don't really understand much about this kind of stuff and so far every explanation about it has been way beyond my technical abilities.

I'm running a so-so Windows XP computer, lots of storage space, only 256MB RAM, with a Geforce2 mx/mx 400, which apparently is an AGP 4X video card. A guy I know is selling a Radeon X1300pro 256MB DDR2 4X/8X videocard. What I'm interested in knowing is:

1. Can my system handle the new card?
2. Will I notice any significant graphics/speed difference if I were to upgrade, assuming my system only has an AGP4X compatible slot? What if it has an 8X slot?
3. What's the approximate value of a used Radeon card?
4. In your opinion, is it worth it to upgrade?

Thanks in advance for your help, and please spare the criticisms about my crappy system and knowledge of it. I'm not made of money or time.

hello,
first i would like to say both thoese card have been out for quite a while i would recreremend just up upgrading ur mother board and graphics card but if ur like me kinda short on caash = ) then thats out of the question anyways ill answer some of your questions if your system can handle it?
yes any system can handle a new videocard just depends on your motherboards compatibility also do you know what the wattage is on your power supply (incase if you dont know a powersupply is the box were u plug u power cable to at the back of your computer.

second question :Will I notice any significant graphics/speed difference if I were to upgrade, assuming my system only has an AGP4X compatible slot? What if it has an 8X slot? yes you will notice a difrence because the x1300 pro is a newer card then the Geforce 2.

What's the approximate value of a used Radeon card?
i would personaly say $50 CAN or roughly $40 US (still cant belive things arent cheaper in canada even with the CAN dollar being higher then the US)

In your opinion, is it worth it to upgrade?
i would personaly say it would be worth the upgrade only if you use ur computer for casual gaming and surfing the web.
by the way could you post ur computers spec's so then i can tell u if it is truely worth the upgrade

I honestly don't have the money for CDN$50. Figure I can probably get it cheaper than that. It is used, after all.

My specs (at least stuff I know how to find that means something to me):

19" 85Hz plug-and-play monitor at 1024*768 resolution (but it'll go as high as 1600*1200)
Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.4Ghz
256MB RAM
80GB Hard Drive (48GB Free)

Is there a way to check wattage without opening up the tower? Does it help that I'm in Canada and it's just plugged into the wall?

Also, a graphics card and a video card are the same thing, right?

yea u probly can get it for cheaper maybe like $30 but that price was the price that i saw people sellinng them for. anyways im pretty sure that ur gonna need to open ur case and there usualy is a sticker on the power supplly and it will tell u the wattage theres no way not to open the case that im not aware off. also yes a graphics card and video card are the same thing. is your computer a certain make or somthing? oor did some one build it for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back