Geforce2 MX400 White Lines & Dots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YumYumDonut

Visiontek Geforce 2 MX400 AGP 64mb White lines/dots?

I am seeing white dots, lines on textures. I used to have a card that had the same problem that was Geforce 2 MX200 32mb PCI, and now it happens on my Geforce 2 MX400 64mb AGP, and the white lines/dots are on the same places on textures in games like Quake 3 Arena, Unreal Tournament, Counter-Strike and many more. I have:

Windows XP
700mhz AMD Athlon
KT133a VIA chipset from MSI
Onboard AC'97 soundcard
Geforce 2 MX400 64mb AGP VISIONTEK
256mb of RAM
300watt powersupply

Please help :(

it's a memory, or driver error.
solutions are
a} update drivers
b} run at a lower resolution (or less features enabled)
c}get a new card

I'm not overclocking anything, and I'm using 28.32 drivers, and my card is not defective.. I jus got my card and I don't want to buy another one :/

also I tried running at different resolutions and its all still there. and its not a heat problem either, my computer runs at 30-40 degrees ! :eek:

Yum Yum,

I have a GF 2 MX400 64mb PCI from Visiontek. I'd like to suggest you try the 23.11 driver rather than the newer 28.32 driver. I had some problems with the 28.32 driver & my card. I've since used an 'overclock' program to resolve the issues & allow me to use the 28.32, but try the 23.11 1st. ;)

Also check your refresh rate setting for compatibility w/your monitor. The 'optimal' setting *may* not be best & you might want to set it at what the monitor will handle for the resolution you are using for the games.

HTH & let me know if this helps :D

Does the GCard have a fan on it ?

It might be overheating. Try placing a small Socket 7 fan on it.

I've seen cards with a Fan / Heatsink combo that actually didn't have any thermal paste underneath. I'd suggest removing the heatsink to check for paste but it will void your warranty.

Try the fan first & if it still doesn't work try the thermal paste option.

the card has a heatsink on it, and its not a heat problem because I left it off over night and it was very cold.. and i tried to play games and i still see it same place, also I tried different drivers and its still there, I changed resolution, 16 bit, 32 bit, refresh rates, no go..

Your card could be bad then if you say all the other suggestions are incorrect. Every once in a while a manufacturer will turn out a bad product out of thousands of good ones.

Test it in another computer. If it works fine then the card is good. If it doesn't the card is likely bad and its the card's fault.
If it works fine then there is somethign wrong with the way things are set up.

Isn't there a problem with VIA chipsets and AGP 4x?

I have a KT133 and all the problems with graphics (including texture corruption and lighting errors) went away when I switched off AGP 4x in BIOS.

Originally posted by YumYumDonut
!! :eek:
I have KT133a and AGP 4X is on :eek:
I dunno :p

I may have misinterpereted your response, but he said to turn AGP 4x OFF. :) I'd disable fastwrites while I was at it, as well as video BIOS shadow for good measure.

If any part of your system is overclocked, I suggest that you lower whatever is overclocked to normal speed.

What you are seeing is typical of an overclocked video card, and it could be very well overheating without a fan. I know you touched it and said it wasn't hot, but placing a fan on it is a good idea anyway and it won't hurt to try.

Just open your case and have a house fan blow into it.. This should keep it cool enough that you can know for certain it isn't a cooling problem.

Since this is the same problem you had with your older video card, this is a very puzzling situation. But it leads me to believe there is something else wrong with your computer. I would check your AGP divider settings to make sure your AGP divider is set to 2/3 if you are using a 100/200Mhz bus. If you are using a 133/266Mhz bus, then use a divider of 1/2.

This is unlikely the cause, but I'm just trying to keep you on your toes. Expect the unexpected...

Ok OK, this is what i did. My bro has Geforce 2 MX 32mb and he installed 28.32 drivers. And installed CS. with 1.4. He sees the white lines on the same spots as me, same areas.. I think there is something weird wit the MX series, oh well.. its not a problem anymore for me. :) thanks for helping me

Thanks everyone for helping, but can someone give me a list of things to check if a card is defective or not? How do u know if the card is defective ?

I just had a brilliant idea, whether it is right or not though is yet to be seen.
I bet there is some electircal interference in the lines in your house. Possibly caused by somethign that has an electric motor running constantly.
I know wierd stuff happens to tvs and such when a vaccuum cleaner is turned on, and sometimes a refrigerator, or airconditioner.
It is a very rare instance when 2 people in the same house both expierence the same problems which would appear to be a video card problem.

Try some earlier detonator drivers:-

Geforce 2 Series = <23.xx (16.xx are the best for GF2MXs)
Geforce 3 Series = 27.xx+
Geforce 4 Series = 28.xx+

Failing that, try running my tweaking program and disable AGP 4x/2x mode, disable AGP Side Band Addressing and AGP Fast Writes, as these are not compatible with every motherboard/system/driver configuration.

Hmmm,

On board audio. I ran the 23.11 nVidia Driver & it performed: OK. I switched to the 28.32 & had problems w/my on-board audio. I had to use my OEM audio drivers for it to work. Updated audio drivers wouldn't work right. I then oc'ed the card w/'Riva' (GFTU wouldn't work w/the 28.32 [??]). It performed better than the 23.11 did oc'ed w/GFTU.

I have been running the 28.90 for a little over a week & the difference is amazing. Upped my fps (across the board), is stable & oc's quite well. I haven't tried updated audio drivers & don't think I will. [:D]

Just thought I'd share this info about my experiences. The on-board audio seems to 'jam-up' the transfer of data to the vid card, IMHO.

I'm going to give your program a go, D8. Let ya know in a few days how it stacks up to Riva & GFTU. :grinthumb

Oh ya: 500mhz Celeron, GF2 MX400 64mb PCI, 320mb PC100/133, i810E MB, USB & 1394 'firewire'. [works for me :rolleyes: ]

ok peoples this is all the stuff I did:

switched 4X to 2X, no work, still bad..
turned off fastwrites, shadowing all the stuff people suggested, no work

tried different drivers, 23.11, 23.12, no work

opened up case and my house fan blew on it, its really cold, and still there, no work

underclocked video card, no work

The electricity thing, I dunno..

:/

Try switching renderers. For example, in Unreal Tournament, use Open GL instead of Direct 3D. Do you see a difference or is it still the same scenario?

re white lines and dots

I know what the problem is with the card.
I have repaired several card that i bought off ebay with the same problem.
first you need a good magniging glass and and a hot air pencil and you need to know what to look for, most cards are repairable if you know what you are doing.
Most likley you have a poor solder connection on a surface mount resistor or bypass cap for the memory (if your lucky).
Sometimes a surface mount component falls off the board due to poor solder joints caused by not enough flux used during the wave soldering proceess .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back