geforce2 to geforceFX

Status
Not open for further replies.

desdgl

I need some advice on updating my video card. Right now I have a geForce 2 32mb. Im running a Pentium III ant 1.0Ghz and have 384mb RAM. How much increase in preformance will I see if i buy a geForceFX 5200 for $100? is it worth the price?

Do you have AGP 4X on your motherboard?

How much are you willing to spend on a graphics upgrade, and are you willing to buy online or are you gonna buy in-store?

I am willing to spend about $130 and I would like to buy it at a store and not online. I do not know if my motherboard has a 4X AGP but I know it has an AGP port. the GeForce 2 im using now is PCI. I could read all the manuals that came with my pc but I just recently had my motherboard replaced by Gateway with a different one. So is there any software or something that can tell me what kind on AGP I have?

Any retailers you have in mind so I could look at some prices and make a suggestion?

As for getting info on your board, it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to check tech support for information on your motherboard. They may have changed it from the one that was stock in your computer. You could try probing around looking for some brand or model # on your board, but I think it'd be easier to just ask them rather then guess.

Try downloading SiSoftware's SANDRA. It should tell you whether or not you have an AGP slot and what speeds and settings it supports.

Download here

I just purchased a PNY Vertro GeForce FX 5200 for $79.99 at best buy. I know this is not the best so i did not open it yet and have 30 days to return it. If I find a better deal I will return it. I download Sandra 2004 standard but can't fugure out how to show my AGP information; any help with that? Also I would like to find a better deal on a video card but can't find one, any recomendations or is the one I bought good? I am looking for about $130 or less. Thanks

what company made your computer? and what model is it? most likely if you have agp it will be 4x. and an fx, geforce 4 or a radeon would work. i would go with a geforce 4 ti4200 or a radeon 9600. try www.newegg.com or www.buyxg.com. i bought parts from both those sites and they were cheap and good products.

I know my PC has an AGP port because I've checked before. My PC is a Gateway, the model is PERFORMANCE 1000 and thats about all I know. Say my PC has a 2X AGP, will this card still work?

it SHOULD be backwards compatible, but you could always get that info on the card manufacturer website.

If you get any of those then your CPU will bottle-neck your system. Even though you are lookin into the budget line like the 5200 it should be fine. Don't expect any big performance jump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back