GeForce3 TI500 LAGGING COMP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabrone

Hey all, I'm posting for the first time in awhile cuz I've come across a problem I couldnt figure out, so I figured reliable Techspot guys might find a solution.

Recently I swtiched my Geforce4 Mx400 with my friends Geforce3 TI500... His works fine in his computer, but when I put it in my machine its fine until I start windows and it loads the windows drivers, the minute the windows drivers are installed in goes to this black screen with a flashing underscore... If I restart it starts very sluggish, then when its in windows it stalls, but if i turn off hardware acceleration it doesnt stall or run sluggish, crashes occasionally.

I think its an IRQ problem, as its running on IRQ 11 as well as a few others, dont know off hand.

I have an Athalon XP 1800
ECS K75SA w/ Amibios by American Megatrends MOTHERBOARD
Geforce 3TI500
running 10/29/2002 bios (Because I cant find a site that has the upgrade flash, I have to send my info to a technician for him to send me the file , according to http://www.ami.com/support/)

Hopefully you guys have some insight, or a fix, or a way to change the IRQ....

I also just did a fresh install of XP because I thought it might help...

Cabrone, if you want to flash your BIOS you have to get it from ECS' website. I own a K7S5A in one of my PC's also.

Did you uninstall the old drivers for installing your video card? That might be worth trying.

Also disable AGP 4X in BIOS and see what happens.

Try disabling ACPI in the BIOS, if you think it may be an IRQ problem, this will allow you to change those settings.

Acid: I looked on the site. www.ecsusa.com and it only had one bios release: Jan of 2001, my bios date is 10/29/02 I really hope ECS has released a newer bios update than Jan 01. You have a dif link?

Storm: By disabling ACPI where will it allow me to change my IRQ's in windows? I'm not very knowledegable with IRQ settings and changes...

A representative called me from this company dont know who, some third party company that distributes the bios updates, never had to do this before but whatever, he told me i have the latest update as of Oct 29 2002 Seems pretty old to me but hey whatever, so ill check those irq's anyone wanna give me some pointers on changing irq's?

i dont think its an IRQ problem i have several things (including GFX card) on IRQ 11 - never caused me any problems

it might be worth a try to reformat and reinstall windows - always clears up a host of small annoying problems

Steg

Originally posted by Steg
i dont think its an IRQ problem i have several things (including GFX card) on IRQ 11 - never caused me any problems

With ACPI enabled, windows manages IRQs and will use the same IRQ address for many devices, this is fine and dandy for most devices made since XP has been in the mix, older hardware devices however have problems with this. Disabling ACPI will allow you to assign IRQs manually and avoid these conflicts. Whether or not it is an IRQ conflict would depend upon what other hardware is installed and whether it would cause such problems.

Originally posted by Steg
it might be worth a try to reformat and reinstall windows - always clears up a host of small annoying problems
Formatting is never a fix for anything. In most cases it will fix the problem until it happens again at which time you are again left with the same problem.

Cabrone, what drivers are you using for that card? I assume Windows default drivers since you refered to "windows loading drivers"

Ive already formatted, didnt work, not to fix the problem but i was taking off my dual boot linux and i just figured id rather have a fresh install...

Im not using the windows drivers, and the problems started the first time right when windows loaded its version of GeForce drivers, then i reinstalled and ITS drivers were fine, no buggy choppy long loading times, but then i loaded the newest Nvidia Drivers 52.16 and now im having the problems, not as bad since ive disabled hardware acceleration, ill try rerouting the irqs tonight and if that doesnt work do you think installing a new mobo would work, i have this exact same model but i got 2 becuase my bro got one and didnt use it...

drop those drivers back to a version of the GF3 era, or at least something 40.x or prior. I believe that may be your problem. I've seen a lot of people having strange problems using the latest nvidia drivers with older cards.

I dropped to the 40.41 and I think its helped a bit, ive enabled full acceleration and it isnt crashing, only when I play counter-strike, I havent tried any other games Im gonna try Warcraft 3 later, my sluggish boot is still slow, maybe not as slow I dont know after about half of the loading xp banner the progress bar goes quick at first then it stops, loads screen flickers, and it goes black for about 30 sec and then windows boots up....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back