GeForce3 -vs- GeForce3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geforcer

Geforce Vs. Geforce

Hello,

I am about to buy a new video card and I was really hopeing someone could help me out with a few questions.

Card 1. G3Ti200 PRO-VT128 128MB DDR VIVO TV-Out - $139

Card 2. GEFORCE3 TI200 64MB DDR W/TV-OUT - $111

What is the big difference other than the amount of memory? They are both GF3 TI-200, one has 64mb and the other 128mb. Does the PRO-VT run games using the total 128mb or is it split with the TV options?

I really only care about using it to play games and watch Divx movies, I'm not too worried about the TV or DVD options, although in the future I may want DVD ability.

I'm looking for something in the $140-$150 range so in your opinion what would be the best buy?

One other weird thing I noticed, on the Nvidia site it show a GF3 TI-500, GF3 TI-200 and a plain GF3 the 500 and the plain GF3 had the best stats. What is the plain GF3? is it the TI-200 pro-vt?

Thanks a lot for any help. This is a once every few years item for me so I want to get the most bang for my buck.

Peace,

The plain GeForce 3 is a bit faster than the Ti200 - you should be able to find a plain GF3 within your pricerange, but it'll only be a 64 meg version. With texture compression you should be fine for a little while using that amount of video memory - I mean, it is kind of a budget card at the moment. They are price pretty close to the MXes that are out now. Check out different benches on the different GeForce cards - I'd look at Tomshardware - he just did lots of them in the last month or so.

LNCPapa

It might be just me, but can anyone tell me of a game that actually utilises 128 MB of RAM on the video card??? Surely not?

True I have thought about this too. One thing to think about though is future games will surely use 128mb, but, when these games are out who knows what kind of technology we will have in a video card so in fact it may never really be able to use the full 128mb anyways.

Does anyone know if the plain GF3 card has any disadvantages over a TI-200? I know the TI is for titanium, I wonder if the plain GF3 is not as good if it is not a TI.

For the $150 price range does anyone know an even better card I could get?

Thanks a lot people for the advice, it helps a lot when you are looking around to buy something.

Originally posted by Phantasm66
It might be just me, but can anyone tell me of a game that actually utilises 128 MB of RAM on the video card??? Surely not?

I dont think there is a difference between 64 and 128 besides the ability to run at higher resolutions with the latter. A 128mb card will allow you to run 1280x1024 resolutions with 4X FSAA with no major slowdown issues.

Visually there is would be no difference as long as the card is the same between the memory sizes.

Now, when you are comparing video cards, 128mb cards are newer than 64mb cards so there will be other improvements in the 128mb that will make it a better option over the 64mb card.

Originally posted by Geforcer
Does anyone know if the plain GF3 card has any disadvantages over a TI-200? I know the TI is for titanium, I wonder if the plain GF3 is not as good if it is not a TI.

For the $150 price range does anyone know an even better card I could get?

Actually I interpret the whole GeForce 3 and GeForce 3 TI like this. The GeForce 3 is better than the GeForce 3 TI200 but not as good as the GeForce 3 TI500. The TI200 is more of a budget card, but the performance differences between this card and the original GeForce 3 are minimal.

As for other alternates the only other card that can compete with the GeForces now is the ATI Radeon 8500 series. They're pretty cheap, but not quite as high on the benchmarks and FPS as the Geforce series. Still they make for great all around cards, and the multimedia capabilities blow anything Nvidia has out the water. Much more can be found on this topic here:

http://www.3dspotlight.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=875

Your looking at spending around 150-180 dollars for the ATI 8500 card.

Re: Geforce Vs. Geforce

Hello,

Card 1. G3Ti200 PRO-VT128 128MB DDR VIVO TV-Out - $139

Card 2. GEFORCE3 TI200 64MB DDR W/TV-OUT - $111

Card 1 has more memory, Video in and out
depends on what you plan to do with it, but for $28 I would go with card 1

Arigato!

Thanks a lot for the help everyone.

It looks like I may go for either the Plain GF3 for $150-$160 or what I am really starting to think is that I'll just wait and save a little more money and buy the GF4 4200, I could get that for $185 according to pricewatch. This would give me a high performance card that runs better than the GF3's (I think) for only a few bucks more.

I'm also about to start upgrading my system. When it's over I should have a AMD T-bird 1.2 ghz, GF3 or GF4 4200, 400mb RAM PC 133(Will get more after a while), CD and CD-RW 32x10x40, 40gb HDD and 6gb HDD, NIC, Modem, Joystick and PS2 style gamepad. This should be a decent setup, not the most advanced but getting close, at least for a few months J/K.

Re: Arigato!

It looks like I may go for either the Plain GF3 for $150-$160 or what I am really starting to think is that I'll just wait and save a little more money and buy the GF4 4200, I could get that for $185 according to pricewatch. This would give me a high performance card that runs better than the GF3's (I think) for only a few bucks more.

The GeForce 4 is really only a GeForce 3 on steriods. There core and memory clocks are higher so yes they do perform considerably better than there older brother the GeForce 3.

Here is a nice little article from Uncle Tom comparing over 30 graphics cards, all the way from the TNT's to the newest 4600's.

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/02q2/020418/index.html

Maybe this can show you the differences in FPS between the different graphics cards that your looking at buying.

$179-199 just get the Geforce 4 Ti 4200, you will get way better performance for it than the Geforce 3 Ti 200s

I've actually heard that 128mb cards out perform their 64mb counterparts albiet marginally.

It's probably more for a future thing than anything. I'm sure there are games that break the 64mb mark though, because I remember Quake 3 using a maximum of 45mb of textures in a given area. Given the age and "not so great" graphics Quake III has to offer, I'm guessing there are games that push 64mb of memory.. Certainly not 128 though.

In benchmarks, the 64Ram have a edge over the 128 due to their higher memory (only applies to the Geforce 3 ti 200s, geforce 4 ti 4200s and the radeon 8500s). However, in games wit alot of textures, for anisotropic filtering and FSAA, the 128 have the advantage. Yes, the 128Rams would benfit you better in the future.

GeForcer,

I've been waiting for a retail Ti4200. Seems no one has them yet.

Here's a 'listing' for a 64mb DDR Ti4200 : http://tomshardware.pricegrabber.co...=GeForce%204%20Ti%204200/ut=a5f7e3495194d1d5/ but the mfg (Pine Technologies) doesn't have it on their website. Listed price is $169.

Think I'll call them tomorrow & find out what the 'deal' is on these cards. As far as 128 vs 64: the cards/drivers allow use of system RAM for textures, so ... :cool:

HTH & in 2 months these will prolly be $99 (I hope). :grinthumb GF4 MX420's are already down to $70!

I recently ordered the GF4 Ti 4200, 64mb, for $169. I think it is not in stock right now. I asked them to let me know if it is not in stock yet or if it is in but they need to order more. If it is going to be a long time I may just get the GF3 Ti 200, it is about $70 cheaper.

The good thing about the GF4 Ti 4200 is that it should be really up to date for a while.

Does anyone know what the requirements are for putting in manual RAM for a video card? I know you have to have a certain slot so I am guessing only certain boards can do this.

I called Pine Technologies today. They are expecting a shipment of GF4Ti4200 reference cards from nVidia on Thursday (5/16/02) & plan on shipping the finished cards by next week. ;)

At present they are only going to make the 64mb DDR AGP 4200's. For those interested & the specs: www.xfxgraphics.com

Enjoy,

Visiontek will have the 128Ram versions by the first week of June. PNY will have the 64Ram by the last week of May.

If I were you, I would get the 128Ram versions, even though it is slower than the 64Ram but there are two things to consider:
1.you can always overclock the card.
2.you can never add another 64ram on your 64card.

So unless you just want a video card til NV30, get the 64Ram.

Whoo hoo!!!!!!

Well, I bought it, I got the GF4 Ti 4200 64mb card. It is in the mail right now it cost $169 plus $10 shipping at mixpc.com

I would have liked to buy the 128mb card but I was lucky to get the money for the 64mb card. One thing to anyone about to get married make sure you make decent money and buy all of the computer, hobby, game stuff you want before you get married :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back