Geforce4 MX 440 with AGP8X...all that neat jibberish and it still won't work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a problem...as if you can't tell. I purchased a supposedly new graphics card--specifically, a Geforce4 MX 440 with AGP8X, as the title says--and had it shipped to me, and it worked fine.

For the first 2 days. At first, it would run no problem, using the latest nVIDIA drivers and all was hunky dorey.

Not so anymore. Of course, it'll work fine when you're using the monitor in normal whateverness, but once you've run a game--say, CS:Source or Word of Warcraft--after about 10 minutes, communication with the monitor shuts off. Literally. The monitor goes into standby mode and it no longer recieves a signal from the graphics card until the system is rebooted.

According to the Microsoft error reporting system (I don't remember the exact string of jibberish it spouted off before hand) It's a loop problem with either the dirver/card communication, or the card itself.

Now, my gut reaction was that it might be the drivers. Of course they're the newest from nVIDIA's site, but any who have much experience with nVIDIA knows they're newest drivers aren't always the best. So, I tried one of their older drivers, figuring that would fix it.

Not so. Same problem.

I'm thinking now that it's a problem with the hardware itself for some reason. I have a 30-day warantee on it, but the people I bought it from are...non-communicative at best.

Before I go through the hassle of trying to contact and return the card for another one, is there anyone who knows my glitch and knows if it can be fixed WITHOUT swapping out to a new graphics card?

Thanks.

~Frustrated in Oregon

EDIT: A side note...at first I suspected it was just the card overheating, so I gave it several hours...same result. Froze about 10 minutes into the game.

Hmm, let's see, I would try swapping in a new video card. LOL just kidding!

Um, did you already have the latest Direct X BEFORE loading the Foreware driver?

So you loaded Forceware 77.77?

Hard to say, hard to say. Can you rule out the monitor then? Sure it isn't your monitor having issues?

All I can think of is that somehow, because games will change your resolution and refresh rate, that somehow things are not getting set back to normal when done. Maybe try setting your "real" resolution and refresh the SAME as what is set in the game.

cheers

I have the 77.77 nVIDIA DL, which automatically detects and installs the proper drivers.

I know the monitor's fine, because it never has a problem aside from that, nor does it now.

I have the res set to the same, but I don't know how to change the refresh rate.

Any ideas?

If the refresh rate is set to high, it can cause your screen to blank out. Though most monitors with actually "say" on them "out of sync" or "out of range" or something if that happens. Maybe yours just doesn't?

To check Windows refresh: Right-click desktop, properties, settings, advanced, monitor. Setting to 75hz is a good, safe bet.
------------------

As for in the games, I know that in CS in the video settings you can set it to use 2 or 3 different video things like Open GL or DX or something like that. I'm trying to remember, I had to change that as well on mine, try Open GL. If not, try other ones. But keep all refresh rates to 75hz or lower.

Alright, finally got around to changing refresh rates (as I said, Res was the same) and it had no effect whatsoever.

Any other ideas? Anyone?? *panics*

Does the video card have an auxilary power source? Does it have a 4-pin molex plug on it? Make sure it's plugged in.

What about heat, does the heatsink on the card, or any chips on the card, get really hot when it cuts out?

Otherwise none of this should be happening, I'd take back the card. Or at least exchange it.

*sighs* I was afraid of this.

No aux power, and everything seems in order.

That means it's the card.

Thanks for the help...guess it's time to look into returning it. *sighs sadly*

>< *slaps forehead*

Okay, so I remove the card, realizing that the part right above the cooling fan is feeling overwarm. I remove the foil sticker on the front of the fan, replace the card, and it works fine now...so far, at least.

>< Sometimes the answer's so easy I wanna vomit. puke: You were right, Vigilante, thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back