geforce4 wrongly recognised

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrslippyfist

ok, i bought a ti4400 gfx card from www.ebuyer.com a few months ago, but it blew, so they replaced, however the new one isn't recognised by windows as a 4400, it seems to think that i have a 4200. the screen b4 the post says that it is a 4400, and the board design looks identical to the old one.
I don't think it is a driver porblem, cos i tried various differant ones, and it runs at the correct clock speed cos i checked using an overclocking prog.
I can't be arsed to send it back because it was a helluva lot of hassle first time, and i don't want to go through having to phone everyday to check where my card is again.
any ideas on the probem, if it affects proformance and how to fix? :confused:
thnx

I dont know how to fix it, but one thing I can tell you is - The manufactorer of a video card is a key component to it. If you get a high-end vid.card, get a good manufactor!(Visiontek,Gainword,LeadTek,etc)... You wont run into these problems, and the picture quailty on your moniter will be 10x sharper. I learnt this lesson the hard way, as you are. ;)Hope everyone takes this advice.

Where exactly is it not recognized as 4400? You just said Windows, that is a pretty broad area.
Does Device Manager detect it correctly?
Does DirectX diagnostics(dxdiag) detect it correctly? How about Sisoft SANDRA? Or any Tweaking utilities?
Does the card seem to perform as it should? Have you run any diagnostics or Benchmarks to see if the numbers are in line with what your other one was?

ok the card is a inno3d tornado ti4400, i bought it because it was cheap :eek: and i thought all gfx cards were created equal these days :rolleyes:
neway, im running win xp on an athlon xp, kt266a board,
it is displayed as a ti4200 under the system menu and display properties menu. same for dxdiag, haven't tried SANDRA, but i expect it will be the same.
Am thinking that maybe they put the wrong chip on the board?
The thing is, it isn't causing any problems, it's just bugging me
:mad:

what you may have is a Ti4200 that has been overclocked to Ti440 specs and then sold as a 4400.

don't think so, cos the board layout is the same as my old card, and it has written on the card and box that its a ti4400

how do you remove the heatsink, i undid the clips holding it on, but it won't come off. I think the thermal paste is acting like glue.
I've tried to pull it off but don't want to break the card, is there something im missing?

nah, how long is the card ? try get a picture of the Ti4400 and the Ti4200 off their website or something, as you know the make etc and see which one you have, if your new to fan removal etc etc, then i'd strongly recommend you don't do it...it's just not worth it, you could rub static all over the card or all manner of things.

without insulting your intelligence, i think you'd be stupid to do it if you're un-experienced, you wouldn't see me takin my car apart, put it that way ;)

i'm sure that the card is a ti4400, cos when i sent the old one back, i had a good look at it to find what was burnt out, and apart form the heatsink being slightly differant the actual layout is exactly the same, and besides it is running at the clock speed of a 4400, just not recognised as one

4200's are far shorter (in length) than 4400's. :) if ur happy its stable and working at the correct freqs :p then fair enough i guess :]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back