GeforceFX 5200 128MB PCI Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

j17neo

First off before my question.
I needa tell you that I'm not looking to invest in a new motherboard or computer since I JUST bought this computer brand new about 2 years ago.

I use an HP Pavilion that runs an integrated graphics system INSIDE the motherboard for all its graphic needs... the downfall of this is that the motherboard has no AGP slots..

so my only open choices when it comes to video cards are the PCIs. That said, there are only a few cards to choose from here and I was thinking of upgrading from my current: GeForce4 MX 420 64MB PCI to the GeforceFX 5200 128MB PCI.

Now alot of people say the 420 card was not too good, but it has worked wonderfully for me while playing games like Medal of Honor, Splinter Cell, No One Lives Forever 2. I can only play these games at MODERATE (normal) detail level... and I'm okay with that.. as the game is STILL playable with good frame rate and STILL looks nice.

So, my question, will the 5200 upgrade improve overall amongst my current video card? Should I expect to see the same, worse, or GREATER improvement??

Thanks for the help guys... I just don't wannah be wasting 100 bucks here. :)

Jon-

:)

Save for a little longer and get something better, like a Radeon 9600 Pro, or GeForce FX5600Ultra, if you want a sizable, improvement.

I'm sorry Nic... but I JUST mentioned I don't have any AGP ports... those cards are not PCI.

I can only get PCI slotted cards.

There should be some improvement even though it is a PCI card. I m sure with the extra 64MB, you can run your games at much higher resolution than before.

Originally posted by j17neo
I'm sorry Nic... but I JUST mentioned I don't have any AGP ports... those cards are not PCI.

I can only get PCI slotted cards.
My fault, I didn't read your post properly. The card you mentioned will provide a noticable speed improvement, so if it has to be PCI, then go for it. That MX420 is one of the slowest cards nvidia made and was aimed at the bottom end of the market. The FX5200 is still a budget card, but very much faster.

GeForce FX5600 PCI - Available in China

Hehe.. well, I'm tired of being the low end user.

I just broke down and ordered an AlienWare computer.

AMD Athlon XP Processor 3200+
1GB DDR SDRAM PC-3200
120GB Seagate Barracuda 8MB Cache
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 Ultra 256MB

This should improve me considerably ... correct? :)

Alienware are the best ready built systems on the market. They cost a lot, but they are worth every penny. Good choice :=). You should be vary happy with your new rig when it arrives. I especially like the new cases they are using. Awesome.

PS: I've been a low to middle end user for the last 9 years, and only this year did I splash out on some top-end gear. :cool: Get ready for Half Life 2 ...:stickout:

Yes... it should be a GRAND rigged system. The jitteryness of being a low-end user on the side of the gaming world finally broke my brain.. LOL

This system setup should last me 5 - 8 years at most.

5 years? That's like saying a car will last 30 years and still be great... even if its a BMW or a Mercedes its just gonna be quite old. In pc gaming your computer will be old in 6 months. In 1 year you'll be middle-end user and in 1.5-2 years you will be again at the low-end ....

In 5 years you would probably use it as some kind of server, file backups, porxy... if you are going to keep it 5 years :p

LOL!... it's true that computing advances quickly..
But basically, all I need is a high running computer that will indeed last.

Of course, games will get better... and the cards will get better.
But basically.. what I'm saying is, my computer I have now has no AGP port.. and it lacked alot of things a high-end computer has now... I may be paying a BUNDLE for this rig, but I can update the video cards... I will only have to buy small accessories (another card) to keep updating... it's not like in 5 years I'll have to buy a whole new $2,500 setup... no.. all I have to do is buy the necessary equipment/accessories to update my computer to my specifical needs

So in this sense... this monster will last 5 years (maybe more).
I'm sure there are people with 5 year old computers that have got it running like the new end systems just from purchasing the right things.

Bottom line: I cleared the slate clean by ditching my current computer. Start a fresh with the high-end equipment, and go from there...

I am trying to save an old rig for my kids to homework, and light weight games. i have an old IBM300 PL 6892, 500MHZ,320 RAM, AND ONE EVGA GE GE FORCE FX 5200 128MB PCI GRAPHICS CARD . NO INSTRUCTION MANUAL, DIFFICULTY INSTALLING. USING XP SP2. DOES INSTALL, MONITOR WILL NOT RESPOND ON RESTART? UNLESS I DISCONNECT THE CARD. WHAT IS GOIN ON?

Er, there is an edit button. can you form a little more coherent scentences?
"DIFFICULTY INSTALLING. USING XP SP2. DOES INSTALL, MONITOR WILL NOT RESPOND ON RESTART?"
That doesn't really say much. Not trying to flame or anything, but you need to be a little more clear.

this is what happened when i installed the card, used it , turned off my computer. cpu on, the monitor powers up, showing blue screen, will not pass this point, unless the cpu is turned off and the graphics card is removed . then all is back to normal. but i dont have the graphics card in use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back