GeForceFX 5900 (strange results??)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superfly

ok - hello all,

just fitted my new FX card and was very impressed with the first benchmark (4,666) on 3D Mark 03 at default clock speeds on the GPU & CPU (P4 2.2).

the problem i have is that the 3d mark 01 score was only 9,100?????? - this less than my old TI4800 SE, but the old card only scored 1,700 on the new benchmark????

anyone else had this issue???

Also thee framerate counter in all QuakeIII based games is sticking @ 100FPS no matter what settings the game is on???? - very weird.

i have the latest drivers and patches for everything.......PLS somebody help.

Also thee framerate counter in all QuakeIII based games is sticking @ 100FPS no matter what settings the game is on???? - very weird.

Check V-sync...be sure it's disabled.

Also, that is a pretty low 3Dm03 score regardless of cpu for the FX5900U....wait, is that an Ulta or non-ultra???

Originally posted by Superfly
ok - hello all,

just fitted my new FX card and was very impressed with the first benchmark (4,666) on 3D Mark 03 at default clock speeds on the GPU & CPU (P4 2.2).

the problem i have is that the 3d mark 01 score was only 9,100?????? - this less than my old TI4800 SE, but the old card only scored 1,700 on the new benchmark????

anyone else had this issue???

i have the latest drivers and patches for everything.......PLS somebody help.
Yes the Quake 3 fps thing is not your computer, it is merely the game limiting your fps to 100. If you want to set it higher or remove the limiter go to the Quake 3 config. I think it's called something like q3.cfg, well open it with wordpad and search for soemthing that says seta_max fps 90 or something of that manner, and set it to 500 or a really high amount. This way your fps won't be limited.

For the Geforce make sure you have the lastest drivers, and also make sure the agp speed is at 4x or the highest you mobo/vid card can go. Hope this helps!!!

Its the 128Mb non-ultra version.

i thought it would be v-sync as i had a similar issue before - sadley with v-sync on the counters sticks at 60 - with it off it sticks at 100....

by this i mean that at minimum res - very low detail and at super-hi res - very high detail the counter reads the same??

plays just fine so i know the speed is there, its not like the counter is broken - lol :)

any idea's?

also for the non-ultra version what kind of 3D Mark 03 score should i be getting? - cant see any other FXcards listed in the online results browser???.......

Its the 128Mb non-ultra version.

i thought it would be v-sync as i had a similar issue before - sadley with v-sync on the counters sticks at 60 - with it off it sticks at 100....

by this i mean that at minimum res - very low detail and at super-hi res - very high detail the counter reads the same??

plays just fine so i know the speed is there, its not like the counter is broken - lol :)

any idea's?

also for the non-ultra version what kind of 3D Mark 03 score should i be getting? - cant see any other FXcards listed in the online results browser???.......
Please read my post on the Quake 3 issue ^

Thanks my friend - the .cfg file was the problem - weird though as previous instalations of the games have allowed a higher frame rate??

still at least its sorted now :) thanks.

any ball park figure on the 3D Mark 03 score?

i thought 4,666 was pretty good for a first run on default settings/clock speeds.

Why more than 100 fps? Isn't that enough?
I don't know what's the rush to run benchmarks and look framerates... you should know that your card is going to run anything you put at it right now... Who cares if you get 70 or 200 fps in a game?

You should enjoy your new gfx card and let benchmarks alone... I don't even remember the last time I ran a bench in my pc, it's just fast enough to do what I do.

its not that i want or need 200FPs in a game - its just that when u spend £250 on a peice of kit its good to be sure its working properly.

manufacturing quality is sadly never to be trusted.........

its not that i want or need 200FPs in a game - its just that when u spend £250 on a peice of kit its good to be sure its working properly.

manufacturing quality is sadly never to be trusted.........
Well said, I agree.

Now here's what i suggest, if you have Unreal Tournament 2003, then benchmark both your cards at the same settings and come back if they are still out of order.

P.S. if you dont have UT2K3 you can just download the demo and benchmark off there.

For a Quake 3 bench do the following....

In the main menu press ~ to access the console
type timedemo 2, press enter
then type demo demo002
this should bring you to a demo of a guy fraggin other bots
after it is finished it'll bring you to the main menu again
press ~ to see your scores.

ill do that - back in a day or too - rather busy at the mo.......

i already know the FX UT2003 bench is (flyby 119.69 - botmatch 38.65) ill come back on the TI4800SE score..........

OK - The TI Scores 121.003 flyby & 39.139 botmatch!!!!!

thats above the FX???????

your verdicts pls...............

only noticable difference is that the FX can run the same tests @ 1600*1200 without the score dropping.

Maybe something is limiting the speed? AGP settings, CPU, .. ?

3DMark2001 probably doesn't take advantage of FX's features so if that is the case, it's no wonder it scores like that.

I wouldn't worry about the speed if I was you, looks to me like the card is working.

u say that but having just discovered that the default clock speed on the card i was sent is only 300Mhz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE PRODUCT DESCRIPTION LISTS THIS AS 400Mhz - i think ive got the wrong damm chip on the board!!

resetting this 2 400 makes no difference on the UT2003 benchtest as it resets the speed back to 300 as soon as you run the app!!!

its going back to novatech 1st post tommorrow, to be replaced by a radeon until NVIDIA/leadtek sort themselves out.

300? really? thats an execellent ****-up uve got there
serves u right for buying a crappy leadtek card - dont blame nVidia for it!

Steg

u say that but having just discovered that the default clock speed on the card i was sent is only 300Mhz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE PRODUCT DESCRIPTION LISTS THIS AS 400Mhz - i think ive got the wrong damm chip on the board!!

resetting this 2 400 makes no difference on the UT2003 benchtest as it resets the speed back to 300 as soon as you run the app!!!

its going back to novatech 1st post tommorrow, to be replaced by a radeon until NVIDIA/leadtek sort themselves out.

It's not throttling down in 2D to 300, is it, and then going back up during 3D?? If it's sitting on 300mhz during 3D app's, time to return that sucker for sure!

Your right Mr Swine - after updating the winfox software that came with the card a drop down menu appears in the clock speed settings - 2D is 300Mhz/3D is 400 Mhz.

Also I cleared the CMOS on my MoBo as I read that this can need doing if you've played around with clock speeds on previous GPU's/CPU's.

After rebooting running UT2003 Bench i got (151.345 flyby & 49 botmatch) that sonly 25 fps off the results i saw for an ultra version running on a AMD 2700+!!

cool - all sorted - phew..........:)

also my 3D Mark 03 score has gone over 5000!!! horray for me :)

5,017 to be presise - better than the 4,666 i got on the first run before clearing the CMOS.

I have another question - how do i run a game in a window???? - so i can be sure the 3D Clock is running @ 400Mhz.

thanks all - this is one of the friendliest forums ive used - helpful too :)

well ut2k3 can be run in a window by unchecking "fullscreen" in the options menu....

Steg

ok - all is well - 3d apps are running at the higher clock speeds, i thought so as the benches were spot on for my system config....

on other strange thing to leave u guys with - if you look at almost every GeForceFX using the 3D Mark online browser u will notice 95% of the results list the clocks speeds as 300/850 - i could only see 2 examples were it was listed as 400/850.

guess if 3D Mark gets this info from the system prior to running tests then these figures make sense.

at least the same issue affects 95% of every other FX card i saw. the scores are right - way over most radeons, except a few rather silly overclocked cards.

anuway enough of my rambling ill let the subject drop.

cheers - Superfly.

after updating the winfox software that came with the card a drop down menu appears in the clock speed settings - 2D is 300Mhz/3D is 400 Mhz.
I think GeForce FX cards do that in purpose, as their fans can then spin slower & quieter - the noise was a problem with the first models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back