General new/not so new computer question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mopar man

Ok I got a computer recently I planned on using as my game computer.

It is a full sized ATX case , with a Biostar (I think that is what it is, because that is what it says on boot up) mobo. It has AGP 8X and an AMD Sempron 2200+. I can't figure out how to determine what the best processor I can get would be.

It does have a 350 watt power supply (plan on getting 420). It also has a Power Color Radeon 9250 128mb 64bit gpu.

Also, is it normal for this computer to perform on-par with the Dell in mu system specs?

No it's better than the Dell, because the Dell didn't have any extra Video card slot

It should be faster.

As you are undoubtedly aware, your new computer is still low on specs in regards to gaming.

Ahh, yes, I know. That is my question though, what do you need to know to find out what the best processor it could support? If it is good enough, I will use it for a while. If not, I will just slowly upgrade using a better mobo. Also, I don't plan on playing any games coming out after HL2 for a little while. In fact right now I am playing a bunch of really old games. :p

Please put your System Specs in your Profile

Umm that's my automated reponse !
All I'm saying is run System Specs, because just saying "Biostar" is not enough.

Umm also I'm about to sign off (good timing hey)
But anyway if you reply, hopefully raybay or someone will pick it up, and advise you further.
We need more specs! :)

I think I'm bringing you bad news. From what I saw on wikipedia the Sempron 2200+ is likely a Socket A processor, which is OLD. So that means even finding a better processor for it is going to be difficult.

You could download CPU ID to verify it is Socket A. If it was something like Socket 754 you'd have a lot more flexibility, but even those processors are getting hard to find.

Arrgh, I believe you are right. The 2200+ is only listed under a, and its 1.5GHZ as listed. :(

Oh well, I kind of expected this. I guess I will just wait and hope I can get something slightly better.

Actually, I have one more question.

This probably should be under Gaming boards, but lets say I played HL2 on XP and on 98SE with the same exact specs. Would it run smoother on the 98SE or the same? It runs Doom 3 with everything on low pretty smooth, and Flatout perfectly everything high on 1024.

If you really wanted to upgrade, I'd find out what the model of your motherboard is and find its max cpu. There is a chance with a bios update it could take up to an Athlon XP 3200+ which would be a significant upgrade over the Sempron that is in it now.

Horrid news. The agp slot isn't even 8X...... that makes me mad... :X Here, attached is everything from cpu-z. Luckily I just paid like 52 bucks for it. 15 for the GPU, 35 for everything else xcept a hard drive, including a neat case. It has blue neon lights around the front sides.

Attachments

• cpuz.txt
    31.9 KB · Views: 6
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back