General query, covering RAM, PSU, and CPU. Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc0rchedst0rm

I've got a few questions, but I guess collectively they fall under power supply, and this seemed like the right place to ask.

I'm running a Packard Bell iMedia 2579, at stock. That is; a Core 2 Duo e6300, 1024mb RAM, Ati x1650SE graphics, Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 250gb, DVD writer, card reader.

I'm going to upgrade to a XFX Geforce 8800GTS 320mb XXX, and 2gb RAM.

My first question is, would a Cooler Master Truepower 450W be enough to cover my system after upgrades?

And my next question is; when in CPU-Z, I notice my voltage is constantly fluctuating, from ~1.2V down to ~1.15V, and its resulting in my core speed reading anything from 1596MHz to 1862MHz, any idea why?

And lastly, I'm my Rated FSB speed is 1066MHz, how come the Packard Bell website states I can only take memory up to 667MHz. This, I understand, is DDR2 PC5300. Shouldn't I be able to take anything up to DDR2 PC8500? I'm beginning to realise just how much I don't know about computers!

I'm beginning to get the feeling this computer isn't going to live up to my hopes, which is quite disheartening; please, say it isn't so!

Oh, that darn front side buss......

First, your power supply will be dictated by the specs of your new Video card. Right on the box; "system requirements". You should have at least the minimum wattage suggested by the Video card manufacturer. A good 450 watt PSU is generally enough to run all but SLI (dual video card) systems.

The Core 2 Duo Intels only have a 65 watt draw at stock speeds so they're not power hogs at all.

As to whose PSU would be the best for you, the names Seasonic, and Fortran Source come up quite frequently. I'm not familiar with the Coolermaster so I shouldn't comment.

Most 1066 FSB boards will run up to DDR2 800MHz RAM, but the board must be matched to the potential speed of the processor. Motherboards that "POST" every time with 667MHz (PC5300) RAM, can get at lot more finicky at the higher speeds. Sometimes to run faster memory, the voltage and Memory Timings need to be changed in the BIOS.
This is not necessarily a beginners project.

Please bear in mind that DDR2 @667 MHz running in dual channel mode is PLENTY FAST!

The voltage fluctuation you speak of could be coming from two places, obviously, the power supply, but also there are voltage regulators in the mobo itself. Last I suppose it could be the AC power line, but that's the least likely source.

With RAM, go with what the mobo maker says in the manual.

Your PSU is sufficient provided you stick to 1 video card. Anything more and you'll need a beefier unit.

Thanks!

Thanks for your help guys. A nice side effect for taking the PC-5300 RAM is that I'll have the better part of €200 saved on my uprade cost! Every cloud has a silver lining, it seems. While I'm not necessarily a beginner (regardless of how clueless I might seem), my motherboard settings in relation to CAS and voltages are locked, and I can't seem to enable them.

The Coolermaster I've been looking at has loads of good reviews on newegg.com, and around the net. But I could easily go with a Seasonic S12 or M12. Would this be a better choice?

Like I said, thanks very much for your help! The people on this forum are great!

I Hate To Bring This Up.........

sc0rchedst0rm said:
My first question is, would a Cooler Master Truepower 450W be enough to cover my system after upgrades

The model line of "True Power" power supplies is not associated with Cooler Master AT ALL These as well as "Smart Power", and "Earth Watts", are manufactured by Antec.

Here's the link to the only 450 Watt Cooler Master PSU I could find, it's called "Real Power", well pretty close. It specs out pretty well, but at the moment Newegg is out of stock; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171001

Here's the link to the Antec "True Power" (it's a 430 watt, not important)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103942

Post back if I've managed to confuse you, I didn't mean to.

CoolerMaster, Antec, Seasonic, FSP Fortron, Thermaltake, OCZ, Corsair, Enermax and PC Power & Cooling all make the finest quality PSUs. Just buy one from any of these brands and you won't go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back