Generic Sound Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pheny

I have a non name brand pci sound card, what sound drivers should I install? Windows detects that it is installed, but it doesn't work because I don't have any drivers.

Update-

Looking at the chipset on the soundcard I see
"Audio Excel"
"CMI 8338A/PCI"
"HRTF 3DX AUDIO" "AV510"

I found drivers for the "8338A/PCI" however they are for Win 98, and I am using XP Pro.

Any suggestions?

I'd maybe see this site; they have stuff for HT8338a, but you have to register; perhaps that's a bad deal, even though it's "free." btw: if you're new to the web, be careful about registering w/any place if you have to give your name, or address or phone or anything.
anyway, that might be the driver you need, or if you visit http://update.microsoft.com, that might find you something.
hope it works for you
--kitty
EDIT: whoops, I posted after Howard gave a link. I came to this post too early to see that.

Thanks Howard and Kitty, that is the website I found the '98 drivers on, wonder why they didn't show me the XP ones. I'll update as soon as I get those installed.

Alright, after wasting a bunch of time registering with their site, I got the driver downloaded. The .zip file contained 3 files.

Cm8338.inf
cmpci.cat
cmpci.sys

How the heck do I work these?

Go to your device manager and locate your sound card. Right click it and select update driver. Click install from list or specific location and click don`t search I will choose the driver to install and click next. Click the have disk button, followed by the browse button. Browse to where you saved the files and click on the .inf file, click open and follow the onsceen instructions.

Regards Howard :)

Alright, so the drivers are installed. The correct ones from the company's website. I set the default sound device to the "C-Media PCI" instead of "Logitech USB" yet still there is NO sound at all. I've switched out 2 different headsets, both of which I know work on different machines. What is wrong??

Did you try to install the drivers as my instructions above?

If you did and it`s still a no go, maybe the sound card is dead?

howard_hopkinso said:
Did you try to install the drivers as my instructions above?

If you did and it`s still a no go, maybe the sound card is dead?

Yea, I installed them like you said. That would just be my luck though, dead analog ports on the mobo and then a dead sound card? Lets say that I went out and got a brand new $40 soundblaster or something, installed it, and installed the drivers, and it still didn't work, what would be up with that?

If you were to get a new sound card and it didn`t work, then it`d have to be something wrong with your mobo etc. However, I don`t think that`d happen. Once you have a new sound card, you should be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back