TechSpot

Geohot's Towelroot can root most Android devices including the Galaxy S5

1. Good news for AT&T and Verizon customers who want to root their Galaxy S5 devices: renowned XDA developer Geohot, the guy who unlocked the first iPhone and hacked the Sony PS3, has released a new tool called Towelroot that can...

Read more

2. HiDDeNMisT

HiDDeNMisT TS Enthusiast Posts: 204   +11

Does not work on my S4 Active. Just saying.

3. Will it work with the s3?

4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,425   +822

The guy must fancy himself to accept Bitcoins but I suppose it's better than mining them yourself.

5. insect

insect TS Booster Posts: 227   +63

There are about 50 ways to root an S3 at the moment. Which way will depend on whether you've received OTAs (over the air updates) or not - if not, it's way easier because there are more "bugs" in the Kernel to exploit. I rooted mine one-week after release. Check XDA forums.

I'm wondering you received an OTA after the exploit was found a month ago?

Just as a side comment, if you ever plan to root/use your phone for it's full potential (I.e., use root-based security [which means you can remote brick if ever stolen], remove bloatware, tether your phone, etc.) I recommend disabling OTA's the second you get it. Telecom companies push out updates to fix rooting methods almost immediately (yet they still won't let you get the latest Android version until a year later....). Either that or pony up the extra money for the developer edition (which by the way, isn't more overall, just more up-front - when you buy at a subsidized price (I.e., $100), you pay the remaining $500 in your monthly bill over the term of the contract. You could also just pay $600 up front for the dev. edition and not pay back the "loan" each month).

6. Zoner1501

Zoner1501 TS Rookie Posts: 32

The fact it's called tr.apk on my download list is a bit unsettling...

7. Zoner1501

Zoner1501 TS Rookie Posts: 32

Doesn't work on the EVO 4G or EVO 4G LTE

8. HiDDeNMisT

HiDDeNMisT TS Enthusiast Posts: 204   +11

Yes you are correct. I receive the OTA. Dam I had completely forgot about it. Oh well. Looks like I am going to have to wait till I buy a S5.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.